Ear injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icampo

Reaction score
I went diving for the first time in Key West this Thursday (very cool), but am afraid I've injured my right ear. Doesn't hurt, but sounds like hearing through a fishbowl. Took 3 motrin yesterday and after flying home in the a.m., hearing felt totally clear all day. Woke up this morning and it was fuzzy again. Ibruprofen hasn't made a big difference.
What is it? What do I do? Is there a resource list for specialized ENTs?
Thanks.

I can't tell for sure based just on description.. I'd have to see your ears to be sure.
There are a few likely problems.
1. the most common SCUBA injury is ear squeeze, and it will often cause those symptoms.

Without assessing the degree of injury to the eardrum by looking at it, no one will be able to tell you prognosis and cause.
2. Wax with water trapped behind it can sound like that as can a severe case of Otitis Externa, or inflammation of the ear canal sufficient to block the ear canal. Again, looking is essential to sorting it out.

3. Otitis media with mucus behind the eardrum can act like that.

The good news is that most general practice physicians see a lot of ear problems and # 2 and #3 are no different in treatment or diagnosis than any other ear problem. If you have Otitis Externa or Otitis Media or Wax with trapped water, you don't have to find a diving ENT.

If you have an eardrum that looks bloody or purplish to your local doc, that would strongly suggest ear squeeze.

Grading ear squeeze and monitoring for healing needs a certain amount of Diving medicine knowledge. hopefully a local doc will be able to sort it out, but you might need to track down an ENT or diving doc if your local doc isn't familiar with it.
I believe Dr Campbell's site http://scuba-doc.com has some very good info on ear squeeze, and it's been discussed here once or twice before.

Try your local doc.. go on to someone else if your local doc isn't confident as to degree of problem or treatment.

May all your bubbles be in the water and not in your ears or bloodstream,

John Reinertson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom