Ear Equalization Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aeweems12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi y'all! I am hoping I can get some advice on what all I can do to lessen my ear issues while diving.

A little history: I've never generally had a problem equalizing on my descents but I do tend to get reverse blocks easily. For that reason I try to make both my descents and ascents slow and I equalize every few breaths. I have managed to perforate my eardrum on three of my four dive trips (when I got certified in 2011, in February 2013, and again on February 23rd of this year). I used to take Sudafed, but I think that was part of the problem so I no longer use any kind of decongestants while diving (I did not take anything other than nausea meds while on the latest trip).

On the latest trip, on my first dive Sunday morning I noticed my ears getting mildly difficult to equalize towards the end of the dive. There was a mild current and we were moving up and down in the water, so I called the dive and got back on the boat. I switched over my gear to my second tank while we moved locations on the reef. When I jumped in for the second dive, my guess is that I didn't have enough air in my bcd so I sank several feet rapidly before coming back up to the surface. Upon return to the surface I knew immediately I had put a hole in my eardrum. My ear was very painful and the world was spinning. I got back on the boat and didn't dive the rest of my trip.

My questions are these:

1. I plan on going on the Invasion at the end of April. The ENT today said I should be able to go, but he has no dive medicine experience. Is it a realistic goal to be able to go on the trip?

2. What might I be able to do to lessen my risk of having equalization issues? I have been told about Doc's Proplugs... has anyone used them? Should I give them a try?

3. I was supposed to complete my AOW on this past trip, but due to several issues, my ear being only one of those, I was unable to do so. I am hoping to finish my AOW in Roatan. Are deep dives reasonable/possible given my history?

I doubt I provided all the needed info, if you need clarification please let me know and I will be more than happy to answer any questions! Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

I can only comment on my own use of pro plugs. For me, same situation as diving with a hood. I never have any problems equalising anyway. Some have said they help with this. Logically, I can't figure how. The tiny holes allow equalisation, of course, but why would this make it easier rather than with just open ears? If anything, you'd think it would make it a bit more restrictive/more difficult.

the tiny holes mean that only a tiny area has to be pushed back against when you try to equalize. many students of mine who had trouble equalizing, i gave those dive ear plugs to try and 9 outa 10 were able to go right down without any problems.
as for the deep dives you want to do in roatan, its actually the shallow part that is most difficult to equalize because you have a bigger percentage change in pressure. for example, from the surface to 10m you doubke the pressure from 1atm to 2, but from 20m to 30m you only increase the pressure 1/3 from 3atm to 4.

Have you tried taking pseudoephedrine? It's not for everyone, but some of us can't imagine diving without it.

Have you tried taking pseudoephedrine? It's not for everyone, but some of us can't imagine diving without it.

I have tried Sudaphed. Both the plain 4-6 hour kind and the 12 hour kind. As well as Afrin, Flonase, and Omnaris (being a pharmacist has its perks). But I had just as much if not more trouble while taking any of those and I decided it was better for me to dive drug free as far as my sinuses were concerned (try to steal my seasick meds and you are taking your life in your hands haha!).

I would really love to know if anyone has had lots of ear issues, tried the Proplugs, and now they have no problems diving. Anyone? Anyone? :wink:

I have tried Sudaphed. Both the plain 4-6 hour kind and the 12 hour kind. As well as Afrin, Flonase, and Omnaris (being a pharmacist has its perks). But I had just as much if not more trouble while taking any of those and I decided it was better for me to dive drug free as far as my sinuses were concerned (try to steal my seasick meds and you are taking your life in your hands haha!).

I would really love to know if anyone has had lots of ear issues, tried the Proplugs, and now they have no problems diving. Anyone? Anyone? :wink:
Not all Sudafed has pseudoephedrine, but I guess you tried the real thing. Good luck on the proplugs. Some like them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom