Eagle Scouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm class of 1981. Now I am treasurer/Assistant Scoutmaster in my son's troop - 439 in Kensington, MD. Still trying to get him to finish up the last two requirements for Tenderfoot after 1 year in scouts. Any suggestions on how to get him moving? It seems the more I push, the more he pushes back.

I'm class of 1981. Now I am treasurer/Assistant Scoutmaster in my son's troop - 439 in Kensington, MD. Still trying to get him to finish up the last two requirements for Tenderfoot after 1 year in scouts. Any suggestions on how to get him moving? It seems the more I push, the more he pushes back.

I not an Eagle, but I'm the father of one (well, waiting for the final signature from Irving, TX) and a Scoutmaster, so I can give a somewhat informed bit of advice.

Don't push your son. Get other adult leaders or - better yet - youth leaders to pull him.

Right now, your son is going through his own personal struggle with dependence and independence. Remember the problems you and he had when he was two? The EXACT SAME ISSUES are going on now. You've already observed that the more you push, the more he pushes back. THAT'S NORMAL!

The best thing is for "dad" to take a back seat and simply ensure that nothing horrible happens. Rather than pushing, talk to the Scoutmaster about your son's progress. Maybe he'll have a SM Conference. Maybe the SM will talk to your son's Patrol Leader and encourage him to see that those last few requirements for Tenderfoot get done. Heck! With summer camp around the corner, your son will likely take care of those there.

The more you act like the Treasurer / Asst. SM and the less you act like "dad," the more your son will get out of the program. When he accomplishes things for his own or his patrol's or his troop's sake, he'll be taking important (and productive) steps towards the independence he seeks. If it does it for "dad," he's going backwards.

I've seen EVERY Scout go through a period of when they have to make the decision of whether they're in Scouting for their parents or for themselves. Sometimes we lose the Scout. But when we don't, we've got them for life.

Good luck and happy Scouting.

Class of '62, with God and Country, also . . .

the K

Class of 2K

I am an eagle scout, and when i was in i was very active in the troop and the scouts program. I have seen parents push there kids and the kids droped out of scouts. Or they turned in to the wrost ones in the troop. the only words i could give you is to remember that the scouts is a youth run program the parents are there to keep the kids out of trouble.

Yep, I am also an Eagle Scout.
Got my God and Country shortly after.
I was an assistant Scoutmaster for several years.

Back
Top Bottom