E-TEC Two Strokes Cleanest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
There have been a bunch of cable Evinrude Info-commercials as of late. Very interesting. They demonstrate as FACT that their TWO-STROKE engines meet all California requirements even for Lake Tahoe where the Patrol boats there use E-TEC engines.

Per the program only the E-TEC has won the EPA Excellence award--no other outboard or marine engine is as clean---that is what the award stated.

JD Powers award, CARB compliant, EPA Award for Excellence, lighter, more efficient and cleaner than any marine engine.

That is what they say and aparently CARB, EPA and JD Powers agree.

Three Hundred Hours (300) no scheduled maintenance also!!!

N

The Navy seems to like em as well see alot of them at the amphib base here in san diego

That ad has to be one of the best marketing jobs I've seen in a long time. Instead of buying a boat to put an engine on, I want to buy an E-Tec and put a boat on it...

There are a number of folks on the whaler list at http://www.continuouswave.com that
have E-TECs and love them. Quiet, clean, start on the first turn, great gas mileage,
everything a four-stroke is supposed to be. And light. (But four-strokes are getting
better there)

What would bother me is that the E-TEC is FICHT reborn, and FICHT's reliability (or
rather lack of it) put OMC into backruptcy. But so far, so good.

I hope my filthy smoky gas guzzling carbed 90 HP two-stroke lasts a few more years (it
should), so I don't have to decide. The choice would be between a 90 HP two-stroke
and a 70HP four-stroke for weight reasons.

Not that I'm in the market, the wife wants to redo the kitchen first, just ask her:D
But how do they stack up against the deisels?

When Bombardier bought the rights to OMC, I was not sure what they were going to do with the line. They are huge enough to just have continued marketing the old technology and still make a fortune. Those FICHTs were ---> unholy nightmares.
Looks like Bombardier did an awesome job though. I'd pop for a pair in a heartbeat, except I need a pair of 250s so the ancient Yamahas will continue for another 600 hours or so.
I'm not sure how to compare an E-Tec to a diesel. Plus there are great diesels out there, and some that are not-so-good, like everything else. I ran a pair of Cummins 250BTs in a dive boat that were nothing but trouble even with weight of the Cummins factory henind them, although I got them after 8 years of service, and the original owner/dive instructor did go to prison for stabbing his girlfriend. But that might have been the cocaine doing the stabbing. The wife had no idea what to do with the boat.
Nothing to do with outboards - just a little historical tangent in the exciting dive industry.

The E-tecs are very good engines. Quite a few of my friends have them on their boats. Some have the big blocks and a few have the small blocks. One thing is for sure, the hype of no maintenance for 300 hours on the big blocks is just bad advice. It sells motors but the dealers are cursing it big time, I know this from first hand experience from a dealer. Big block gear cases just can't go 300 hours without a change of oil. My friends motors are quiet, strong and reliable, just don't fall into the 300 hour nonsense.

If BRP is using the same marketing people for the E-Tech that does the snowmobile marketing, take what they say with a large grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom