Duties to pay when ordering online from the states

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any ideas as to what I should expect to pay for duties on dive gear ? The item I intend to buy is made in Europe ...xdeep

Thanks everyone

I have only ever been required to pay Federal and Provincial sales tax and sometimes brokerage of 5 or 10 dollars when it is sent by mail. If you use other forms of shipment you could be faced with much higher fees for brokerage etc. If you are lucky it sometimes comes with no fees attached.

Best to get shipped through Canada post on this end. May / may not get asked to pay duty. Courier wii cost an extra 10$ for brokerage fee above any duty paid, which will always be assessed in this option. From Europe, Canada post route will likely take longer.

There is no duty on dive gear.....just taxes. If you live close to the border you can get things shipped to a depot like this one and then pick it up.

Border Mail Services | Ship to the Border

This allows you to take advantage of free shipping to US addresses that a lot of the online dive shops provide. (shipping of heavy or large items from the US to Canada is quite expensive). I've also found that the Canadian border guards will let you through without paying taxes if your order is less than about $100.....actually I've never had to pay any taxes at the border.

Don't know about Quebec but gas in Washington is a lot cheaper than BC, so I fill my tank before I cross back. Some grocery items that are allowed across are also less expensive. The savings on gas and groceries pays for my trip and I'm retired so my time is my own.

When I got a wing from xdeep I paid $200 in taxes, duty and brokerage fees.

I just noticed that xdeep is made in Europe. There may be duty on dive products bought online in Europe. My experience is buying online from the US.

I'm a licensed customs broker (clear imported stuff through Customs, don't work for CBP!). Dive gear *generally* falls under water sports equipment and is duty free, when you're importing INTO the US. I can tell you, though, that just because you're in Canada and ordering from the States, don't expect the goods to be duty free just because the stuff comes from the States. The goods would have to be made in a NAFTA country to be duty free under NAFTA. So, if something is made in the UK and you're importing to the States, no go for duty free. Preferential duty treatment (aka duty free) under a free trade agreement is dependent on country of origin of the goods.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom