Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbl212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to dive at Dutch Springs, seems like many of you do. It's the closest/ cheapest place for me I believe.
Obviously it'll be my first time there.
Can anyone explain how the diving there works? Do you just bring your equipment and start diving? Also I'm in need of a buddy:D

Thanks!

I live in New York and have been up there a few times. As far as I know you need a solo diving card and a transponder to dive with out a buddy. The only comparison I have to other quarries I have is Brownstone in CT. Dutch Springs is much larger, with better visibility and much better organized than Brownstone, although Dutch is more expensive. I think it is worth it. You come into the parking lot and pay the admission fee so they let you in. There is a tank shed for rentals and re-fills off to the side past the main gate. They have showers and changing rooms, a snack bar, a gift shop with save a dive stuff and snacks. There are plenty of picnic tables set up to spread out your gear. There are usually packs of people doing OW courses as well.

I am going up there for a skills workshop on the 21/22 of June. I am getting a ride from a buddy of mine. Let me know if you want to head up there anytime this summer and we can talk about splitting a car rental or working something out.

SBL212: I will be diving Dutch Springs tomorrow. The group I'm affiliated with is called the Ocean Blue Divers, we will be having a BBQ, and a birthday celebration.If you would like to get a good experience at DS, you are more than welcome to meet us there, or even car pool.

Either way,having you own buddy is great. I do believe on DS homepage they have a forum were you can get an insta-buddy.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2014 at 12:31 PM ----------

I am going up there for a skills workshop on the 21/22 of June.

Which skills workshop is this?

Which skills workshop is this?

It is a buoyancy, finning, reel, SMB deployment, etc course. Basically all of the stuff that I wish was included in my OW and AOW courses. http://goodlifedivers.com/?page_id=278

Do Ocean Blue Divers, go up to DS often? Is it easy to find people to carpool with. I see your pool is about 65 blocks south of me, so it is not tough to get to.

It is a buoyancy, finning, reel, SMB deployment, etc course. Basically all of the stuff that I wish was included in my OW and AOW courses. http://goodlifedivers.com/?page_id=278

Do Ocean Blue Divers, go up to DS often? Is it easy to find people to carpool with. I see your pool is about 65 blocks south of me, so it is not tough to get to.

Thanks I will look into Good life Divers.

As far as OBD, I can't say they go to DS often. However they like to travel, and they have monthly meets in Mahattan, with interesting topics.

Personally, I joined about three different divers group, to keep my options available and have a diversity of people to dive with. I only need to be at Dutch Springs three times a year, I don't need more than that. Last week my Bronx Divers Group was diving a wreck off of NJ (novice and experienced divers) .I will be taking some more training next month upstate at Alexandria Bay NY, St Lawrence River.

Come join us!

Come join us!

Details please! Do you drive up? What is the diving like in the St. Lawrence? I would love to join a weekend, or long weekend trip to try something relatively local that might be more interesting than the quarry.

Details please! Do you drive up? What is the diving like in the St. Lawrence? I would love to join a weekend, or long weekend trip to try something relatively local that might be more interesting than the quarry.

I'm taking two day GUE Primer course. I will PM you the details.

Erik, thank for the offer but tomorrow's not a good time. But maybe next time!

Dutch is awesome, the happiest place on earth! Well, I do like the ocean, but it's a great alternative for blowout days and training.

Our club (the NYC Sea Gypsies) is out there very frequently - for example, we have an upcoming Introduction to Northeast Diving day with volunteer instructors for warm water divers who want to get into local diving. Also, I like Oceanblue divers a lot, have been on a number of their trips, and I will be at the party at Dutch Springs tomorrow.

The St. Lawrence is awesome, I have been there the last three summers, and last year I ran a trip for the Sea Gypsies with a dozen divers up to the Canadian side. Here is my writeup of that if anyone is interested.

See you at the quaribbean...!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom