Dusty's Lights Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reku

Contributor
Reaction score
Great Lakes + Northern Florida + Marsh Harbor
# of dives
5000 - ∞
4 hour extended long edition.

dustys-lights | Veteran Made in the USA

I've put 300 dives on it so far and it has performed flawlessly. Actual burn time has been longer than 4 hours per charge. It is more than bright enough and cuts through the muck. It's about 4lbs above water and ~ -1 lb underwater. I have been rough with it and it seems quite indestructible. The light dispersion ... uh ...filter works great - it removes the hot spot and provides a good light for pictures and video. I had a 72" cord attached to it as opposed to whatever length the standard would be, I sidemount - it butt mounts nicely below the handles on my SMS75 with enough reach to use in either hand.

I am thinking of buying a second one and braiding the cords together and mounting both heads on a camera mount. Should be interesting.

TL;DR

Pros:

I paid $450 + shipping + tax (I think, I can't remember) sometime around December 2015.

The cost is insignificant when you compare it to other lights of it's caliber.

1. Long burn time - consistent brightness throughout.
2. High quality - PVC case, o-ring screw on top
3. I abused it and it still works (dragged through sand/mud, hit on a few rocks, ice etc.)
4. Includes dispersion filter and a Goodman handle (very nice)
5. More batteries are super cheap.
6. Filter holder keeper line is a nice place to store arrows and cookies.

Cons:

1. I want another one.
2. The head is a mag light - so some of you may think it is too heavy - I do not think it is.
3. I'm really trying to find something bad to say ... Due to engineering I doubt you could ever move the power switch to the head unit. That is something to consider.
4. No sidemount gland for the cable - but I am not having issues because of this - standard line out works well.
5. People keep asking me where I got it and then they want to look at it and then they keep asking questions - I hate people so it's kind of annoying - I just redirect them to the website lol.

11/10 - I'll be buying more.

My wife an I each have one. We have had them for a few years now (still have the RC battery version) and almost 200 dives each.

At the price it got new divers into can lights when otherwise it would have been cost prohibitive. We live in the PWN and a good light is needed on every dive. I came across this thread looking at "new" lights but spending 3x, on the cheep end, to 5x does not currently fit our diving style.

I can't say enough good things about them or the customer service.

He's changed the light head and it pulls a bit more power so the NiMh packs were not standing up as well. He also finally found a charger for Li-on he trusted and would work so the new packs and chargers are 4-cell Li-on 18650 (2s2p). You can also get an 8-cell 2s4p cell as the OP described.

You can change directly to the new Li-on cells and charger if you want when the NiMh needs replacement. You cannot use the NiMh charger....bad.
It seems to be a slightly better battery. I've had both with 2 NiMh packs still working, one dead (single cell croaked), and an original 2s4p pack still going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom