Dumb Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addicted2H2O

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a point or not but would it be feasible to use a gimbal with a GoPro for shooting underwater video? Typically I use an iDas tray (like this one i-Torch i-Das Compact Tray ) with an iTorch Venom38 video light for my Hero 7 black, but was wondering if maybe a gimbal would make it easier to get more stable video. Would a gimbal even work underwater?

Thoughts?

While there are waterproof gimbals, as far as I know there aren't any available that would be rated for a depth of 30m/100ft or more.
And yes it would make stable video easier.

For more stable video incorporate some drag.

You could mount a gimbal inside a waterproof box but to control it would be difficult and the internal reflections would drive you crazy.

Years ago one of the video mfr's introduced a small vertical format camera. One of the housing mfr's introduced an equally small housing - to help with stability they added a vertical wing on top.

I shoot housed video with an Amphibico housing. My buddy shoots with a much smaller Canon housing. My video is smoother b/c the drag keeps me from jerking it thru the water.

To stable video I mounted my go pro on a DIY platform which acts like and under water wing and the platform glides in the water. I can also set it down to take video.

I added some small lights at the time but now use different video lights. Big Blue VL4200P

I posted some video links here
GO PRO HERO 4 videos Moalboal Cebu

Attachments

• GO PRO HERO4.jpg
    GO PRO HERO4.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 148
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom