Dumb Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NathanBrazil

Registered
Reaction score
I have a point-click SONY DSC-W5 5.0 megapixel. I have tried a variety of settings, currently in 'FINE' mode and the box with 5 in it is displayed. When I open the .JPG file in Photoshop, its like 21 " x 18" but 72 dpi. How do I get a smaller, but higher dpi?

NB

P.S. I'd ask Obie, but he is incommunicado.

When you go to resize the image de-select the "resample image" box which also de-selects the "constrain proportions" box.

As you type in a smaller size you will also see the resolution increase proportionately.

Once you see the limitations of your resolution size you can perform the process in the future by using the crop tool on the same size photos (not zooming in on it). When you click the crop tool "width", "height" and "resolution" boxes appear at the top. Type in the info then crop the photo. Don't type in a size and resolution that the photo is not capable of being adjusted to. That's why experimenting in the resize box first lets you know the photos capabilities.

Gilligan:
When you go to resize the image de-select the "resample image" box which also de-selects the "constrain proportions" box.

As you type in a smaller size you will also see the resolution increase proportionately.

Once you see the limitations of your resolution size you can perform the process in the future by using the crop tool on the same size photos (not zooming in on it). When you click the crop tool "width", "height" and "resolution" boxes appear at the top. Type in the info then crop the photo. Don't type in a size and resolution that the photo is not capable of being adjusted to. That's why experimenting in the resize box first lets you know the photos capabilities.

First, thank you very much for the response. I tried what you said and indeed the resolution increased to slightly more than 300 dpi. However, when I printed it, it actually looked worse the the 72 dpi image that I had only cropped.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure what went on with that.

I almost never print my pics. The few times I did I took them to a store on a CD.

I resized them to 4 X 6 at 300 dpi then saved them as a TIFF instead of a JPEG. TIFF's make better prints as they are not compressed like JPEG's. Of course they are also huge files.

My image comes in to PS at 2592 x 1728 at 72 DPI or 36" x 24" image size. Is the fundamental premise, that if I decrease the image size, the same number of pixels will represent the data and therefore the dpi will increase?

NathanBrazil:
My image comes in to PS at 2592 x 1728 at 72 DPI or 36" x 24" image size. Is the fundamental premise, that if I decrease the image size, the same number of pixels will represent the data and therefore the dpi will increase?

Yes.

The larger the camera megapixel = the larger the file size = the larger the print you can make.

Gilligan:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure what went on with that.

I almost never print my pics. The few times I did I took them to a store on a CD.

I resized them to 4 X 6 at 300 dpi then saved them as a TIFF instead of a JPEG. TIFF's make better prints as they are not compressed like JPEG's. Of course they are also huge files.

Hey little buddy!

are you also shooting in RAW format and then after changes saving them to TIFF for printing purposes? or shooting in the next resolotion down from RAW going from there.

My camera's uncompressed mode is TIFF not RAW, I haven't shot any underwater
shots in TIFF yet, but was thinking about trying it a day or two on this upcomming trip.

I know a lot of folks say it's the only way to go, but, I'm just not sure if it's worth dealing with 14 MEG files or not, does it really make that big of difference when it comes time for manipulation in Photoshop to shoot uncompressed?

anyone else wanting to chime in on this, all comments are welcome.

The shots that I've converted from RAW to tiff, I've been unable to convert to JPEG in photoshop. It seems that every other format will convert, but when I click to "save as" I get the gray YOU CAN"T DO THIS box on JPEG.
Also, on the DPI change I've read that if you convert to a different resolution for printing purposes you should stick to even multiples of the original scale. So for 72dpi, maybe you would do 288 instead of 300. I think Ron and Dee had a long drawn out about that a while back in the digital darkroom.

Back
Top Bottom