Dumb question department... Dive Flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchapman3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:confused: What is the generally accepted set up for a dive flag? I bought a flag Kit at Scuba Toys today with the inner tube, casing with of course... the dive flag.

I'm assuming the tube should be tied off, lest it float (or blow) away... what's the general set up here? If there's nothing to tie to; do you use an anchor configuration? During the dive, how far from the flag can you wander, or does the flag not mean divers are "here", but "divers are in the water somewhere"?

The kit didn't come with a rope so I'm kind confused...

Suggestions?

There are two methods used. One is to tie it off or anchor it to some sort of central point that you will be diving around, the other is to lug it around with you, both involve rope. One of the problems with dive flags is while they are supposed to warn boaters away they often seem to do the exact opposite. Any Joe with a drivers license can rent or buy a boat. All of a sudden they see this strange flag off in the distance and they go to investigate. Personally, unless it is required I'd probably dive without the flag and shoot a DSMB when I wanted to surface. At least boats would be able to see that and probably wouldn't be going full speed right over my head when they went to investigate.

That's not a dumb question, jchapman. It looks to me that you are really thinking about your upcoming dives.

Great planning!

Personally , I never use a dive flag in Texas. I feel more safe that way.

I dive in Oklahoma quite a bit and they are more strick about dive flag laws there so you should use one since a hefty fine might be imposed. Oh by the way if you bought the flag in Texas it's too darn little to use in Oklahoma legally but nobody really knows that.
If you read the laws they specify the size of the Diver Down Flag but make no specifications about the Alpha flag :crafty:

A Van Halen Album cover is not a legal substitute so be aware of that. They no doubt told you that in OW training but I just wanted repeat it because it's important.

Here's Frank's take on Dive flags.....

*Dive Flags are Idiot Magnets !!

* There is no universal legal DIR way to employ a dive flag.

* Place the flag near where you enter and abandon the thing quickly.
Pick up the weight when you return and follow the bottom to the shore.

* Never surface near your dive flag if you hear any boat noise.
It is a good way to get your head knocked off by a jet ski.

* Use a heaver weight then you actually need since waves
and that sudden Summer storm can drag a small weight away
along with your pricey little flag and tube.

* The dive flag rope is the most dangerous piece of equipment you own.

* When offending boats encroch into your dive flag marked area don't
be an *** hole about it. :no Just let your sweet wife or pretty girl friend
explain the fines they might get and they will understand, thank you,
then and move on counting they're blessings. Trust me it works better that way.
So what if you don't have a wife or pretty girl friend :huh:
Well... you can just talk like a girl and they usually clear out as fast as they came
(Oh Youuuuu Whoooooooo !! ) :rofl3:

* You can't tow a dive flag in Oklahoma but you can and must in Florida.
BTW... I got busted in Florida for snorkeling without a flag and
you would think I had been trafficing narcotics or something.

* Know the dive flag laws where you dive but use your brain.

Timeliner:
BTW... I got busted in Florida for snorkeling without a flag and
you would think I had been trafficing narcotics or something.

you should see the comments this raises among us of FL. they will lay into a diver snorkling without a flag, but will ignore the boaters who are bumping up against the flags as they jokey for a place to anchor.

In most states a "Diver Down" flag is required anytime a diver is in the water.

But as TxHockeyGuy said, often times the "Diver Down" flag serves only to become an object of interest to boaters and a "neat find".

A dive buddy of mine, DiverBraz, was using my SMB up at Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta. He was down at about 70 feet or so with his buddy having a good time.

Along came Bubba Joe, Shirley Mae, Cletis, Maudell, Bubba Joe Jr., Bubba Joe III, Little Maudell and rest of the Goober family on a rented pontoon boat.

They pull up next to the SMB (please note that the SMB has "DIVER BELOW" printed on both sides in VERY BIG LETTERS) and Bubba Joe proceeds to try to collect his new found treasure from the lake.

A tug of war ensues between Bubba Joe and DiverBraz.

We're standing on the bank of the lake yelling at Bubba Joe, "Hey, jackazz, there's a diver attached to that line!!!"

Bubba Joe finally gave up and puttered off in his rental pontoon. I would sumise that he did this only because he didn't have his thirty-ought-six to shoot whatever critter it was that was attached to the bottom of the line.

Some of the areas we dive have fully grown trees standing beneath the water. When we dive these areas, we anchor the diver down marker in the vicinity and stay deep.

the K

I will sometimes use a flag that has a small float - the ones with the foam around the shaft. I put it on my reel and let out all of 5' of line. It is just enough to keep it out of my way above me. On the way out I let another 15' of line out and if I get hasseled as it wasn't floating- Oh, the line must of jamed!

The Kraken:
A dive buddy of mine, DiverBraz, was using my SMB up at Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta. He was down at about 70 feet or so with his buddy having a good time.

Along came Bubba Joe, Shirley Mae, Cletis, Maudell, Bubba Joe Jr., Bubba Joe III, Little Maudell and rest of the Goober family on a rented pontoon boat.

A tug of war ensues between Bubba Joe and DiverBraz.

We're standing on the bank of the lake yelling at Bubba Joe, "Hey, jackazz, there's a diver attached to that line!!!"

Yeah, it's a great way to get bent. This is why we were taught to never anchor the line to yourself. many of the spools for flag line have a great loop in the middle to put it over your arm. this is a bad idea, picture bubba had he had a little more sense. not enough to not tug on the line, but enough to be even more dangerous.....

bubba goes to pull the line up, which is anchored to the diver 70 feet below. it doesn't come easy, so lets add some more horsepower to it. he ties the slack of the line to the boat cleat, and takes off down the lake, full throttle. now, a line clipped to the diver, and all of a sudden your fins become skis. and you are taking a trip to ride the diver's chamber.

Braz didn't have the line attached to himself, he just anchored down and started pulling back !!!

It was kinda funny! You could see Bubba pull on the buoy, and then you could see it jerk back.

Bet he was thinking, "Dang !!!! It's gonna take a helluva long time to clean this here'n!"

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom