dumb question about this image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I'm assuming this image is photoshopped, and was hoping that those of you who know the software well could tell me what the telltale signs are here. Basically, how do you spot photoshopped images?

Thanks,

Tim

food chain

FoodChain.png

We'll... in my opinion it appears fake given that on the shark you see the bright light patterns light that occur underwater when the subject is close to the surface... however the divers do not have such patterns on their head or shoulders. That leads me to assume the image of the diver was taking deeper or under different lighting conditions than the image of the shark.

I think the first give away would be the surface sun scatter on the shark but not on the divers. Also usually photoshoped pictures are not perfectly to scale, one or the other of the frames is not quite the right size.

Edit:great minds at the same time...LOL.

The only real give-away is as others commented the lighting pattern from the surface.
Of course the poor contrast of the photo hides a lot of the usual tell-tale indications when you overlay one image on to another.
The only place you really see poor blending of the colours is at the top, left side of the fin, the colour transition is abrupt and stepped when you look at it at 400% and up. If it was a real photograph that transition from the water to the fin wouldn't be like that.

Also usually photoshoped pictures are not perfectly to scale, one or the other of the frames is not quite the right size.

The scale mismatch was one reason I thought it was fake, the shark looks to be 20'+.

We'll... in my opinion it appears fake given that on the shark you see the bright light patterns light that occur underwater when the subject is close to the surface... however the divers do not have such patterns on their head or shoulders.

Didn't notice that!

The only place you really see poor blending of the colours is at the top, left side of the fin, the colour transition is abrupt and stepped when you look at it at 400% and up. If it was a real photograph that transition from the water to the fin wouldn't be like that.

Or that!

Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom