DUI Weight & Trim Classic???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing the APEKS WTX harness and wanted to know if the DUI weight & trim classic will work with this setup?

On your website it says will work with most BC's? But there is no listing of the BC's it will not work with.

Is this type of welght belt better than going with the integrated weights that I can purchase from Apeks?

Would like to know the pros and cons to this weight belt. I tried one on, a medium at the LDS and it fit nice.

Apeks puts out a really nice integrated pocket for this bc and so I'm on the edge to which route to take.

I'm currently own and will be diving the DUI CLX450 medium, I also dive Steel 100 HP's.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing the APEKS WTX harness...

Excellent...

"Soon your transition to the dark side will be complete!"

palpatine.jpg

In answer to your question, the DUI system will almost assuredly work with the Apeks system. On our boat I see people using the DUI system with every rig you can possibly imagine. The DUI system is typically a far superior option than clogging up a BP/W rig with weight pockets. Beyond the "clutter" aspect of adding pockets there's also the "weight" aspect: a BP/W rig is heavier than a traditional BCD with the steel plate then add steel tank, and even more weight with the lead. Better to have a weight harness (or belt) that you can don by itself seperate from the rest of your rig.

That being said, you'll not be surprised to hear me recommend something a bit simpler than the WTX rig:

WTX...
wtx_harness_47_80.jpg

Hog rig...
Eclipse_Harness_02.jpg

Of course, doesn't have to have H's on it. There's a myriad of companies offering standard issue BP/W setups, with many favorites among folks here on SB.

Depending on your specific weighting needs, you might consider adding a weighted "single tank adapter" to your BP/W rig. This typically allows you to add 6lbs or so to the BP, removing that much from your belt. If not there are also companies that offer heavier plates and/or other solutions besides weight pockets.

Either way I would not buy integrated pockets or a weight harness until you get the rest of the rig set up and dive with it several times (with a standard weight belt perhaps) to determine your actual weight needs. It will be a lot different than with your current Seaquest. When I first went from Seaquest Balance to BP/W I planned to buy pockets, but wasn't sure which size to get - small, medium, large? Good thing I waited, as it turned out I didn't need any weight at all with the new rig.

Whichever way you go, any of the manufacturers have ability to add pockets and such later. I'd challenge you to be open to starting out with the MINIMUM configuration possible and then add what you can't live without. I guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
Darth Vader,

I mean RJP sorry about that... You were right from the very beginning about my i3... The Pro QD is an excellent BC for novice to intermediate divers of warmer waters that carry less neoprene and weights.

In diving deeper I have found the need to want more mobility in my waist and the Jacket inflate takes a lot of that away, I could never see nor use my pockets in my BC my partner always had to place things in them or out.

RJP the only reason I want the WTX harness is that I'm not doing doubles any time soon and can later upgrade to the backplate into my harness for doubles plus I can travel with it.

Trust me I did look at the HOG well at least Apeks version of backplate with wings.

Since I have you on topic since you don't have any integrated weights or harness where is your ditchable weights, not sure if you said you have weights or not.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I should get the integrated weights for the ATX harness or not since they are only 20 lbs total and I dive that already in wet. Since I going dry I'm thinking I will need more weight.

Hey RJP did you know my i3 is on it's way home back to leisurepro, they take used equipment and give you nice value in cash. I also sent my Kronos reg back.

I purchased the Apeks XTX200 DIN and the Aqualung Legend LX supreme DIN.

Since my steel HP100's are Worthingtons they have the removable yoke adapter.

MG

RJP the only reason I want the WTX harness is that I'm not doing doubles any time soon and can later upgrade to the backplate into my harness for doubles plus I can travel with it.

Plate is fine for singles too. I dive mine with steel doubles here in NJ or AL80s in the caribbean. Travel with BP/W couldn't be easier

Since I have you on topic since you don't have any integrated weights or harness where is your ditchable weights, not sure if you said you have weights or not.

Don't have any ditchable weight with the doubles, or even when diving a single steel 119 (where I used a 6lb STA)

With an AL80 I need 4lbs, which I keep in pockets attached to my cam bands. Not strictly ditchable by me, buty my buddy could pull them if needed.

I dive dry in any/all situations (to bring thread back on topic for the DUI forum) with DUI TLS-350 in cold water and a 30/30 in warm. So I have redundant bouyancy if needed. (Plus a lift bag if both BCD and drysuit failed.)

Anyway, I'm not sure if I should get the integrated weights for the ATX harness or not since they are only 20 lbs total and I dive that already in wet. Since I going dry I'm thinking I will need more weight.

Look on SB classified board for a used BP/harness set-up and give it a try for a bit. If you don't like it you can always sell it there for exactly what you paid for it. I have a halcyon 6lb STA I can lend you to try out along with it. In fact I have a Dive-Rite Rec Wing I don't use much you can borrow too. You're losing about 4lbs inherent bouyancy from the Seaquest, plus you'll be putting 12lbs on your back with a steel plate and a weighted STA. This will reduce your overall lead need - whether you choose to put it in pockets, on a belt, or weight harness.

Also, as you get more comfortable with managing gas in the dry suit you'll pare even more lead off.

"Streamlined and simple, is the way of The Force. With trim horizontal and buoyancy neutral, soon you will dive."

YodaDir.jpg

Looks like you've gotten sound advice from RJP. I'll throw in another comment.

I used the DUI WT Classic with my old neoprene drysuit. It will work with virtually any BC rig you decide on. I would sling the weight pockets of the WT way low (think low on the butt). It allowed me to position weight a bit lower on my body and make the pocket dumps easily accessible. That said I never considered the WT a dumpable weight. The amount of weight it'll carry is insane. I'd usually provide a small amount of weight in the BC to be dumpable. This would create a slightly positive effect if I had to dump weight.

Thanks a lot for the sound advice... RJP I really appreciate your input and your consideration on the borrrowing aspect of your equipment.... For now, I have a dive shop I'm working with and everything is going to plan....

Thanks,

MG

Hi Mike,

I apologize for the delay in my response. I was working the Lake Tahoe Demo event!

Well, it looks like you received a good reply to your inquiries.

By way of confirmation, the DUI's Weight and Trim should work just fine with the Apeks WTX harness. The benefit of DUI's Weight and Trim system is the adjustability and fine tuning of your weight distribution and trim. If you find you tend to be a little positive in the lower portion of your body, you can bring the harness down and it stays nice a secure. If the upper portion of your body is floaty, you can comfortably adjust DUI's Weight and Trim system to where you need the weight the most. On the Classic, you can even move the pockets themselves forwards and backwards!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Jessica
DUI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom