DUI TLS vs. FLX Extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been back and forth on the TLS350 and the FLX Extreme for awhile now. Looking for help in deciding which one is right for me that is unbiased from DUI.

I am looking for an exposure suit that can keep up with my tec diving. My team mate and I do more exploration-type diving... deep CCR dives, off roading and finding new dive sites, etc. I also see myself taking into caves in the near future.

I am primarily looking for flexibility, something that is really easy to wear. This is what brought my attention to the TLS. But I know several divers that have had problems finding leaks in their TLS so the added durability of the FLX Extreme caught my attention. However my main concern with the FLX, does the extra durability significantly effect flexibility?

And while I'm at it which type of seals do you like best, silicone or latex?

So TLS350 or FLX Extreme, which would you get and why? If you dive either of these suits, your insight would be extremely appreciative.

Thank you!

depends how flexible you want it to be. Why are you set on DUI? They are certainly one of the most expensive, but far from the absolute best for quality....

Two other brands to consider. Rofos makes a suit comparable to the TLS that is worlds above in my opinion and quite a bit cheaper, USIA *the Techniflex is about as durable as it gets and comparable to the FLX but at less than half the cost. Depending on how much wreck penetration your doing would choose the suit for you. I would highly recommend socks instead of integrated boots if you're going to be walking around any distance more than about 100ft. Zip seals are wonderful, and silicone is overrated unless you have a latex allergy. It is more comfortable but less durable and much more expensive

With sticking to your parameters of those two suits, I would go with the FLX Extrme. Not as light as TLS but still way exceptible. FLX will hold up better in your wreck / cave enviornment and just overall. I perfer the newer Tec Turbo Boots which gives maximum range of motion/flexibility and I like to step in and be done. For those that are constantly walking over rugged terrain then the Rock boot may work better for you. Zip Seals are a plus, just make sure you keep an extra set!

depends how flexible you want it to be. Why are you set on DUI? They are certainly one of the most expensive, but far from the absolute best for quality....

Two other brands to consider. Rofos makes a suit comparable to the TLS that is worlds above in my opinion and quite a bit cheaper, USIA *the Techniflex is about as durable as it gets and comparable to the FLX but at less than half the cost. Depending on how much wreck penetration your doing would choose the suit for you. I would highly recommend socks instead of integrated boots if you're going to be walking around any distance more than about 100ft. Zip seals are wonderful, and silicone is overrated unless you have a latex allergy. It is more comfortable but less durable and much more expensive

Thanks tbone1004, you brought up a lot of good points. I'm not totally set on DUI but I am a science diver with University of Hawai'i and our Dive Safety Program has a relationship with DUI and a few other drysuit manufacturers. The other suit I was looking at is the new Hollis DX300. It looks good and less than half the cost of a DUI but the problem is that it was just realized. They're aren't too many people reviewing them and I have no idea how it will hold up in the long run.

Given TLS vs FLX, I will go with FLX too. I don't own a FLX, but I have a TLS. While it is very comfortable, very light weight and easy drying, it can be a little tougher. Mine hasn't leak on me, but has had issue with under arm stitching coming off and the edge of pocket wore through the surround material. All repaired by DUI at no charge even my suit is a bit old. Looking at the way the repair is done, it seems DUI is aware of the potential issue. I think newer TLS will be better in those areas. But I am still have some concern about the toughness.

A side question, I think you are selling your white fusion bullet? may I ask why you want to switch? Is there anything that the White is not doing it for you?

Call up DiveRightinScuba, see what their opinion is, but I would seriously look into the USIA in your situation, plus a suit has to be good with a great white shark on it right?

Call up DiveRightinScuba, see what their opinion is, but I would seriously look into the USIA in your situation, plus a suit has to be good with a great white shark on it right?

Do they make ones that actually fit? All the one's I've seen look like MC Hammer parachute pants extended to cover the arms and torso.
usia.blktan.jpg

Thanks tbone1004, you brought up a lot of good points. I'm not totally set on DUI but I am a science diver with University of Hawai'i and our Dive Safety Program has a relationship with DUI and a few other drysuit manufacturers. The other suit I was looking at is the new Hollis DX300. It looks good and less than half the cost of a DUI but the problem is that it was just realized. They're aren't too many people reviewing them and I have no idea how it will hold up in the long run.

Stay away from any Hollis suit. I have an FX100 with under 100 dives on it that is complete garbage. It's been garbage since Day 1. I don't know if the DX300 is any better, but I rarely (if ever) had a dry dive with mine. I've had several people tell me Hollis are the only suits that might be worse than DUI for leaks.

If I had the money to buy a high-end drysuit, it'd be one of the Waterproofs. Their D1 looks SUPER sexy, and the material on the inside (the orange spongy stuff) is apparently worth its weight in gold and not just a gimmick. A buddy has their neoprene suit (D10? D6?) and it's beautiful....only problem is back-zip.

My money is going to a Black Ice. I'm picking it up in like 36 hours.....so we'll see how I like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom