DUI Drysuit--is this a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leigh

Registered
Reaction score
Local shop is selling off some rental drysuits. They're asking $1398 for a 2001 DUI CLX450 (no boots, no undergarment, suit only). I've rented the suit a few times--no leaks, fits me great (so well that i've had multiple people turn to me and say "*that* is a rental??". I know the suit retails for double that new. Is this a good deal?

leigh:
Local shop is selling off some rental drysuits. They're asking $1398 for a 2001 DUI CLX450 (no boots, no undergarment, suit only). I've rented the suit a few times--no leaks, fits me great (so well that i've had multiple people turn to me and say "*that* is a rental??". I know the suit retails for double that new. Is this a good deal?

Although fit means alot in drysuits, thats a pretty old suit for a rental. Although a good suit will last many years IF TAKEN CARE OF, I would be hesitant to spend that much for a 3 year old rental. You can buy a very nice suit new for close to that price.
The fact that its half of a grossly inflated retail price doesn't mean that much IMO.

Ask the shop if they'll guarantee the suit, zipper and seams for a year.

MechDiver:
Although fit means alot in drysuits, thats a pretty old suit for a rental. Although a good suit will last many years IF TAKEN CARE OF, I would be hesitant to spend that much for a 3 year old rental. You can buy a very nice suit new for close to that price.
The fact that its half of a grossly inflated retail price doesn't mean that much IMO. Ask the shop if they'll guarantee the suit, zipper and seams for a year.

If the shop will PM the valves, and offer a guarantee on it, than you may want to consider it. But this is above most eBay prices I see. But as a rental, it may have only seen a few dives... I mean how often has it been out? Are the seals original? Ask some tough questions.

K

I would not pay that much for a three year old rental suit. The DUI retail price on a stock CLX-450 is $2098, with most shops selling them at 20% off that price, which gets you to $1678. Whoever told you they sell for twice that $1398 price is a little off. Shops get rental suits for a substantial discount off of the normal cost of a drysuit. This shop is making a bundle on this used drysuit. I would do business elsewhere, or tell them to knock $300 off the price. Around $1000 would be a fair price for this suit.

Wow, I cant believe the prices for DUI suits. They have gone up in the last year too...

leigh:

I had a similar situation with a rental Flex 50/50 at my shop but they offered it to me for $850. I think new the 50/50 and the CLX450 are the same price. It was also offered a 1 year warranty. For whatever reason I decided I wanted a new CNse instead and I am very happy with it.

Offer them $900 and ask for a 1 year warranty from the shop. Otherwise you are getting ripped off. Of course as a DUi owner I can say that while I love the suit.. just paying for a DUI you are getting overcharged. Anyone who reads the sign on the way into Dutch Springs knows what I mean :)

Okey dokey. I was kinda thinking for that price it should at least have pockets, and maybe even come with boots, undergarment, dry gloves and hood. Thanks for the confirmation.

If you do some shopping around prior to buying your drysuit, you should be able to find a great deal on new DUI suits. Since you sound like you're one of the lucky few that actually fit into DUI stock sizes, that makes your search all that much easier.
I bought my TLS-350 from www.rexdive.com , it cost me about $1400, but they threw in new Twin Jet fins since my old fins wouldn't fit the rock boots. I'm not sure if they offer the same deal still, give them a call, bunch of nice guys in that LDS.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

I picked up a new Signature Series CLX/450 last year for $1500 w/ Rock Boots, P-Valve, and shipping. It sounds like the shop is trying to make a profit on the suit. They buy it at an outragous discount, depreciate it over the years and take in the rental fees then want to get it off their books for more than its depreciated value to loose the risk of it failing or needing repair/maintainence now that its 3 years old.

Check out www.dansdiveshop.ca, he has two used CLX/450's (Size Large) listed for sale for a little over 1K. I'm sure there might be some haggle room. And since your in Michigan - it might be driving distance for you, and no sales tax to boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom