DUI dry suit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanimal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need a few things done to my DUI dry suit (replace neck & wrist seals, add p-valve) and am interested in how the zip seals are:

Would you still get zip seals if you were to do it again?
How easy is it to put on the gloves (dry) ?
Are the dry gloves suitable for camera and other UW work?
If you retro-fitted, did you send it to DUI or other?

Thanks for your input!

scubanimal:
I need a few things done to my DUI dry suit (replace neck & wrist seals, add p-valve) and am interested in how the zip seals are:

Would you still get zip seals if you were to do it again?
How easy is it to put on the gloves (dry) ?
Are the dry gloves suitable for camera and other UW work?
If you retro-fitted, did you send it to DUI or other?

Thanks for your input!

I believe that only DUI can install their ZIP seals on a suit, and only fairly recent models can take them as a retrofit. Mine were installed as a retrofit.

Yes, I would do it again! Wrists AND neck. However, some of my buddies would not do the neck if they were to do it over again--the smaller your head is and the broader your shoulders are, the more likely you are to like the neck ZIP seal.

The gloves are very easy to put on, and UW work is better with clumsy dry gloves than it is with numb hands!

Hope this helps,

theskull

Definately. It is so convenient and worry free, specially when you clean it out. simply detach and attach it whenever you travel. Even though you don't buy DUI glove, you can have other brand's dry glove that can be attached on the wrist zipseal.

There are two kinds, either having inner seal or without inner seal. Most diver prefer the inner seal design...

hoosier:
There are two kinds, either having inner seal or without inner seal. Most diver prefer the inner seal design...

Geez, I would think so, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

My first DS (50/50) came without the zips, but they put them on cheap cheap because it was in that grace time period several years ago. Loved them.

My new 450 came with them. Still love them. Hundreds of dives, never a leak that was the fault of the zip seal.

I like the gloves. A lot. I change them out all the time - seals to gloves, etc. The kind of diving I do (weenie recreational) I'm not worried about a puncture and flood.

a) I don't handle stuff that will puncture them.

b) If something happens, I do a slow, controlled (albeit chilly) ascent. No biggie.

Love them. I've ripped a neck seal on a live aboard before... I wouldn't order a suit without them.

Boog: I don't know what Hoosier is talking about. Zip gloves are simply a blue, hand shaped bag on the end of the sleeve. No inner seal, no redundancy. DUI makes ring gloves, but those are not Zip gloves. Unless there has been a major design change in the last month, that's the deal.

---
Ken

Well, check out these thread. It has been well covered. :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=103059&highlight=dry+glove
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98964&highlight=dry+glove+DC

Specially, this one------>
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=78387&highlight=dry+gloves

Mo2vation:
My first DS (50/50) came without the zips, but they put them on cheap cheap because it was in that grace time period several years ago. Loved them.

My new 450 came with them. Still love them. Hundreds of dives, never a leak that was the fault of the zip seal.

I like the gloves. A lot. I change them out all the time - seals to gloves, etc. The kind of diving I do (weenie recreational) I'm not worried about a puncture and flood.

a) I don't handle stuff that will puncture them.

b) If something happens, I do a slow, controlled (albeit chilly) ascent. No biggie.

Love them. I've ripped a neck seal on a live aboard before... I wouldn't order a suit without them.

Boog: I don't know what Hoosier is talking about. Zip gloves are simply a blue, hand shaped bag on the end of the sleeve. No inner seal, no redundancy. DUI makes ring gloves, but those are not Zip gloves. Unless there has been a major design change in the last month, that's the deal.

---
Ken

Boogie, with the zip seals you have EITHER a wrist seal OR a dryglove.

The only way to get drygloves and seals is to put regular hard rings with standard drygloves onto a zip seal.

Back
Top Bottom