DUI dry glove advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a DUI TLS 350 with zip seals. Up until now I have been using wrist zip seals onto which I have mounted some dry gloves using Diving Concepts rings. In order to achieve equalization between the suit and the gloves I interrupt the seals with some tubing which, in the event of a flooded glove, I could remove by removing the glove.

Now, I believe that the wrist seal has a leak. I am considering DUI dry gloves. I realize that mounting the dry gloves is easy but then cannot be slipped into place as easily as the DC rings. Thus, once mounted, the dry gloves are "semi-permanent," or at least not (practically) removable.

So, which DUI dry gloves should I buy? My choices are:

- Maximum Dexterity (Orange);
- Heavy-Duty (Blue or Black); or
- Compressed Neoprene

I know that the Maximum Dexterity size large fits me well. Is it safe to assume that a Heavy-Duty or Compressed Neoprene would fit similarly? The reason I ask is that my LDSs to not stock many DUI gloves - only the orange large was in stock.

My drysuit diving is mostly open water. I do very little cavern diving and may (or may not) try out wreck penetration. Ice diving is a definite possibility. Do I need heavy-duty or compressed neoprene gloves, or are maximum dexterity fine for me?

Further, the pair that I tried on were a Wrist Dam model with a a donut-shaped wrist seal for redundancy. I really don't see the point to this - how would I equalize the pressure between the gloves and the suit? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the advice.

I would go with the neoprene for warmth. The new dry gloves fit on in place of the wrist zip seals. No other parts needed.

You might consider staying with your current set-up, just getting new wrist seals. The zip seals are great for quick replacement if you already have an extra pair of zip seals. In reality, unless it's a rental suit used by a different diver every weekend, the zip seals for the wrists are a bit of overkill. The replace a set of wrist seals takes less than an hour and the suit can be ready to dive again the next day. I personally like having the option to add my drygloves (I use the SI Tech collars) for those dives where I need them or just use my 3mm gloves. I can also use a pair of rubbermaid heavy-duty (blue) kitchen gloves from the local grocery store to replace my dryglove.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I find the DC rings to be too bulky for me. I already have (extra) zip-seal wrist seals for warmer water. The zip-seal gloves would be my cold-water solution.

Up until now I have been using wrist zip seals onto which I have mounted some dry gloves using Diving Concepts rings. In order to achieve equalization between the suit and the gloves I interrupt the seals with some tubing which, in the event of a flooded glove, I could remove by removing the glove.

I know this post is a few months old but I wanted to know what you finally wound up doing? I've got a CF200 with zipseals and have been thinking about getting the zip gloves to keep the old manos warm. Like you though, I'm not so enthusiastic about the fact that the DUI zip gloves are semi-permanent and could not be put on at the last minute. If you could let me know what you did or what you'd recommend I'd really appreciate it. Also, if you could elaborate a little more on how you mounted dry gloves onto the zip seals using diving concept rings I'm interested in possibly doing the same. (If you could post a photo of it that be awesome but if it's too much trouble I understand).

To anyone else, what about these semi-dry gloves? are any of them any good? Right now I'm diving with Pinnacle's 4mm merino gauntlet style gloves and they do pretty well down to about 48-50 deg. but in 45 deg I can't go any longer than about 15 minutes without fingers going numb.

Thanks

When I went to the DUI event this year, they were taking zip sealed dry gloves on and off on about 2 minutes notice . . . . nothing "semi-permanent" of any sort that I could see.

Or did I miss something?

- Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom