DIR- Generic DUI Cortez for Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hartattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
While Santi’s are amazing—has anyone seen or had experience with the new Cortez? If so, would it be a contender going forward in GUE?

Looks nice. Looks like DUI is aiming right at that market. I have run into a couple of GUE divers lately who have said they currently favor DUI over Santi. I get the impression DUI went through a quality dip, but perhaps they are on a serious comeback.

I agree, and honestly, I could save almost $1,000.00 if I went with the DUI instead of the Santi Emotion +. That leaves a bit of saving for undergarments, gloves, and maybe another first stage or doubles wing.

The material looks similar to the Santi Emotion. If you sit on concrete benches or rough surfaces quite a bit, you it appears it might not be very durable in the long term. Some of my friends have had the Santi Emotion, but have encountered "leak-a-thons" after a year or two of using them. The material should be pretty light weight and flexible, which will work out for travel. I guess it depends on what kinda of diving you plan to do. If you're on a tight budget and can fit pretty well into a stock size, perhaps look for a used drysuit for your first suit and save the rest for your Fundies class, gear, etc. You can always get a nicer drysuit that's MTM down the road.

If your local dive shop only carries DUI, look into the FLX Extreme, which has a Cordura shell and is much more abrasion resistant. It should just be a little more than the Cortez and a lot more rugged suit that will last you a long time. If you look at WKPP pictures, a lot of the guys are using red colored DUI FLX Extremes.

If you are on a serious budget why not just get a DUI Yukon?
Yes it only has one pocket but that is no big deal for fundamentals

If you are on a serious budget why not just get a DUI Yukon?
Yes it only has one pocket but that is no big deal for fundamentals

The Yukon does not come with the zip seals I believe. Also, I wouldn't say a serious budget, but $2,900.00+ for a Santi is fairly steep when you start factoring in the cost of classes and other gear purchases.

I'd also like to see if any GUE instructors chime in to get their thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom