DUI CLX 450 Signature Series Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A couple months ago, I decided it was time to get a custom made suit rather than continuing to struggle with an off-the-shelf suit that, while a really nice suit (once it was on), was a huge fight to don and doff. I have a bunch of buddies and fellow instructors/DMs that dive DUI suits, and I had a hand-full of dives in them at a DUI Demo day at Lake Travis a few years ago, so I knew pretty much what to expect.

I ordered the suit with the following choices and/or packages:
-B&W digital camo overlay & gray accent piping
-Tec package (two pockets, crotch pad, p-valve, hood)
-kevlar knee pads
-Wrist zip seals & G2 zip neck seal
-Rock Boots
-warm neck collar
-ActionWear 300 full set (pants, top, vest, socks)

First, let me get the not so great stuff out of the way.
1) The p-valve is very low on the leg compared to where I am used to it being, so the hose was too short to route the way I usually do it. This was a bit of a concern the first time I dove it, and nearly caused a messy accident. I ended up buying some neoprene rubber hose from McMaster-Carr (it's the same exact hose for much less than Halcyon sells it for) and cutting a custom length which allows me to route the hose how I like. Not a huge issue, but it's more comfortable for me "my way" vs the other. So, it's fixed now and not an issue. I know why they put it where they do, it's quite clear, I just had to do a little work and spend a few bucks on a bit of hose to make it work for me.

2) I don't really like the rock boots too much. They seem way too big and bulky. Maybe a size smaller would be better, but I am not sure they would fit. I may try one size smaller as I have only dove them one time, choosing to use my all black Chuck Taylors (in size 13) instead since. The trade-off is that the Chucks are a bit too small for the 300gr socks, so my feet get colder. Also, I can't get my XXL Jet Fins on with the Rock Boots.

Next, things that I need to keep in mind:
1) The exhaust valve isn't as quick to dump air as the Si-Tech that I have had on my three previous suits. I prefer to keep the valve closed and press it as needed since I am constantly looking over my shoulder to ensure my students are with me. Not a huge thing, but I have to be a bit more proactive with this valve...I have hundreds and hundreds of drysuit dives, so this isn't a training issue...just needed to get used to it.

2) The legs of this suit are a bit tighter than other suits I have had. This is nice while diving, but makes it a bit more difficult to put on and remove my fins. If I am waist deep with no air in the legs, it's very hard to do. If I am out of the water, it's much easier. Again, not a huge thing, but it is a thing.

Now the great.
1) It's super easy to don and doff the suit. The G2 seal is real nice too, giving me more room to get my head through. The zipper is a few inches longer than my other suit and placed better (for me).

2) It looks awesome. Purely subjective, but still. Lots of compliments have been coming my way.

3) It's great in the water. Good mobility, comfortable, pockets are easy to access and have nice D-rings in them.

4) It's light! Noticeably lighter than my other suit, with at least the same durability. That'll be nice when traveling with it!

5) Suspenders are great. They keep their "setting" so to speak, which means I am not having to adjust them over and over.

6) Dries faster than I expected. I put a small fan pointed at it one evening and it was all dry the next morning. Nice!

7) Seals are super easy to change. I was not 100% sure how the neck seal went in, but it was correct. No tools needed. I have a full set of spares. I went with latex since my experience with silicone wrist seals was not so great in the past, though I will like to try them in this suit eventually.

8) Hose is really nice, metal connection, not plastic. Easy to grip, very solid. I expect it'll last years and years.

9) The glue smell goes away fast :)

10) The ActionWear 300 undergarment set is so so nice! Little details like a zipper for the neck are wonderful for guys like me with 18-19" neck. It's warm, comfortable, looks good, and feels great! I have been in 50 degree water with the pants, top, and socks for just under an hour without getting cold. I am not sure how much warmth the vest adds yet as I haven't used it yet.

--

I have just 9 dives in the suit now, with a max of 100ffw (not that it matters) and water temps down to 50-degrees, which really isn't that cold. Overall, I am very happy with my suit and would buy it again. Once I get the boot thing figured out, it'll be perfect -- I am not a huge fan of built in boots like turbo soles, so we'll see how it goes.

More to come later. I need to get some photos, I know... :)

Hi James. Great post. Is your DUI a Signature Series? If it's a custom size please let me know.

Thank you,

Kathy

Yes, it's a new signature series made for me.

Thanks. If you feel the legs are to tight please let Customer Support and/or your DUI Dealer aware of this. The fit is guaranteed.

I actually don't want the legs bigger, since when I am diving it, there's not a lot of excess like my other suit. I spent the weekend diving it again (four dives), and figured out a way to get the fins on and off much easier ...i just lay back a bit, let some air get in the legs and it loosens up just fine. Easy enough.

It's clear that most of the initial issues I had are really just differences between suits that a change in technique has fixed, aside from a longer p-valve hose -- and that is just a function of how I prefer to route it.

Hi James. Sounds great!

Just curious, but can you elaborate on "your way" for the p-valve connection? I found the hose was long enough for my routing, but would be interested to hear how you route the hose.

I bring the hose straight up my leg, then loop it towards my hip, then back under itself so the little fitting points directly sideways to plug in. I made an epic picture in paintbrush ... the red line is where the waist of my undergarment pants are, and the hose crosses under as it points back to the middle. My waist band, once i tighten it, kinda holds everything in place.

Attachments

• pv-route.png
    pv-route.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 392
I bring the hose straight up my leg, then loop it towards my hip, then back under itself so the little fitting points directly sideways to plug in. I made an epic picture in paintbrush ... the red line is where the waist of my undergarment pants are, and the hose crosses under as it points back to the middle. My waist band, once i tighten it, kinda holds everything in place.

That is one of the most epic pictures to explain p-valve hose routing EVER!! Thanks for the laugh, but also thanks for describing...I totally understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom