DUI 30/30 For Cold Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coinking

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about the 30/30 both for tropical diving as well as cold water (50s). I understand that the 30/30 has a more snug fit. If I were to order a slightly larger size to accommodate layered undergarments for cold water, how would that affect the performance of the suit when I'm in warm water with just a thin layer? I know it would then fit looser, but I'm wondering how that would affect the suit (or would it just look different).

Thanks.

I don't think it would work too well for both cold and warm water dives.
I have a 30/30 that I dive for warm waters above 60 degs that I wear a light weight bunnysuit under it. There is no way I could fit my heavy bunnysuit under it.
The 30/30 I dive is an XL and the only way for me to wear the heavy undergarments would be to go to an XXL, and I would be swiming in that suit.

Also the 30/30 does not come with booties like a TLS350 or another cold water drysuit.
You can get a 30/30 with them , but it isn't standasrd. There is also the cold neck collar to think about.

So in short , you could use it for both but it wouldn't be optimal.

Jim Breslin

Jim, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about ordering the select version with the turbo soles to keep my feet dry. That would also give me more sizing options. However, I didn't think about the cold neck collar. The 30/30 doesn't have a way to tuck in a hood skirt?

I spoke to DUI about this matter and they indicated that this can be done to some extent. The thermal underwear that can be used for cold water is: DUI - Polartec PowerStretch DiveWear. Less bulk more warmth and the one for warmer water is: DUI - Stretchliner Divewear.

You'll obviously need to get the turbo soles or the rock boots if you are going to be using the suit in cold water. You'll need to get advice from DUI on which type thermal boots to buy. The suit will need to be measure according to the thickest underwear you'll be using.

In regards to the hood, you can still get the "warm neck" collar to enable you to tuck your hood under it.

The above is my understanding from my conversation with DUI about two weeks ago but you'll need to verify this information again just in case I am wrong in my understanding (please let us know either way).

For me, I'll be going for the signature series suit to be able to customize the suit to fit my needs. Where I am right now, water temp. in the Summer is around 75F and around 66F in the Winter. I'd also like to use the suit in the Caribbean/Hawaii type of diving. If (and when) I go back to dive in the New England area, I'd use the CLX450 or the like since I'd need a heavier underwear.

I have a 30/30 sized to fit, a Med in my case. The single layer Pinnacle fleece is comfy at 70F. The double layer fleece feels a little crowded, but is doable. I thought about having Turbo soles added, but since I'm planning on using the suit in the Mexican caves, I thought my wet suit booties would provide me with a little more support and padding.

Hello!

The above statements are quite valid! The 3030 can be used for both, but you do have to be aware of the snug fit. When you place your order, be sure to have the dealer let us know your intentions. With a Special Production suit, we would just build the 3030 to accommadate the thicker undergarment.

If you decide to go with the select sizing, it would probably be a good idea to go up a size.

The 3030 can be made with the attached socks and we can install a warm neck collar.

Right now we have an AWESOME special on the 3030. Check it out DUI's 2010 Fall Drysuit Promotion - save money, travel light

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions!

Thanks!

Jessica
DUI

i had my 30/30 made with rockboots. i love the suit dove it in 82-55 so far. been comfortable on most dives some could have used a hood. i think the warm neck is standard with zip neck.

i had my 30/30 made with rockboots. i love the suit dove it in 82-55 so far. been comfortable on most dives some could have used a hood. i think the warm neck is standard with zip neck.

What type of underwear did you use in the extreme ranges of temperatures (high/low)? Was it comfortable fit?

it was very comfortable in 82 degree water in florida keys i wore a underarmor coldgear mock, in the colder quarries water temps in the 50's sometimes, i wear a t-shirt and a 200gram jumpsuit mine is a mares comfort soft picked up on a closeout sale. your level of insulation may vary, I do tend to get cold easy which is why i went dry to start with, i would be frozen in a 7mm farmer john and 5mm long sleve shorty in 70 degree water. the key with any drysuit is some thing to wick the sweat from your body the coldgear is great for this. you may need to change shirts between dives if your sweat a lot. at least from a guys point of view i where shorts an long socks and a long sleve as a min just for skin protection. as the suit begins to squeaze the sealeat on the seams is kind of rubber like and removes body hair very well so i try to leave as little exposed skin as i can. it also makes donning the suit easier as you dont stick to the sealeant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom