DUI 30/30 Ankle seal replacemenet help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to replace ankle seals for my DUI30/30. I don't which is the better way to seal with the old seal. From reading the forum and youtube, I can do one of the following:
1. cut the old seal at about 1" from the edge on the suit side. Then glue the new seal onto the old seal. This seems to be a more common way on youtube.
2. totally remove the old seal, and glue new seal onto the suit's fabric.

Which is a better way? If #2, how exactly do I completely remove the old seal? The old seals are the original seal from DUI, so there is aqua seal on the edge as well. It doesn't seem easy to remove the seal completely.

Thx,

A hair dryer works well for removing seals, followed by removal of the adhesive and sealant with some abrasive to get a clean surface to attach the new seals. You might want to check out the Airspeed Press book [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wetsuit and Drysuit Maintenance and Repair. WETSUIT AND DRYSUIT MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Steven Lindblom. It covers most aspects of drysuit repair that a reasonable person might try themselves.

[/FONT]

I am trying to replace ankle seals for my DUI30/30. I don't which is the better way to seal with the old seal. From reading the forum and youtube, I can do one of the following:
1. cut the old seal at about 1" from the edge on the suit side. Then glue the new seal onto the old seal. This seems to be a more common way on youtube.

Which is a better way? If #2, how exactly do I completely remove the old seal? The old seals are the original seal from DUI, so there is aqua seal on the edge as well. It doesn't seem easy to remove the seal completely.

Thx,

Totally remove the original seal... like John at OceanEdge Outfitters does when he changes the seals on my suits.

Drysuit Service Center

Or you can ship him your suit.

:D

Thx,

#2 is better, #1 is "safer".

If your seal is original and from DUI, it will almost certainly be easily removed by applying heat. A heat gun is best, a hair dryer will work too. If DUI has lined the edges of the seal w. Aquaseal, this is a legitimate problem. Aquaseal does not react to heat. In fact, it doesn't react to anything. It's one of those wonderful glues that, once cured, is pretty much permanent. Because you're new at this, I wouldn't mess w. the Aquaseal. I'd just leave 1" of old seal, glue your new seal onto that section and chalk it down as a good exercise.

Regarding why the glue "will almost certainly" come off with heat, the reason I say that is because that's the magic of drysuit glue. You *could* buy a can of DAP Weldwood contact cement at any hardware store for $6.00 and use it as drysuit glue. It works just as well as any regular drysuit glue (the red Weldwood, not the less flammable green one). *BUT*, DAP Weldwood does not "unglue" when heated. And there are two huge drawbacks to this:
1) With drysuit glue contact cement, if you apply your two pieces together and you accidentally screw it up and introduce a wrinkle or a bubble, all you have to do it heat it up slightly and "iron" out your mistake. If you really screw it up you can do it all over. But with something like DAP Weldwood contact cement, you're screwed. You get to start from square 1. Maybe even a little before square 1.
2) The other reason you use drysuit glue instead of DAP is so that when it does come time to replace your seals, all you have to do is heat up the seals again and off they come. Then you have a complete and perfect surface to which to glue your brand new seals.

This is why instead of going to our local hardware store, we go somewhere like DRIS and pay much more for actual drysuit glue. Believe me, it's worth it.

I should note that *if* DUI used Aquaseal as the only glue with which to attach the seals, you're pretty much stuck w. option #1. I hope for your sake that not what they did.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys. I have DRIS drysuit glue, heat tape, aqual seal, I guess all the necessary adhesive. I also have heatgun. I will try to remove the old seal method. I will keep you guys updated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom