Duane or Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a couple of zero current dives on the SG, but the Duane has been ripping every time for me. I would love to dive it in zero current. Both are great. Try for both.

On one occasion I experienced the same: didn't even need the mooring line to descend. it was great. However I've also dove it when the current was so brisk divers almost looked like flags flapping while they held on for dear life with masks flooding. If divers didn't stay inches off the deck, they'd be blown off. I've also had dives cancelled because the current was practically pulling the mooring balls under. Most of my other dives had modest current: not too bad but something to be mindful of. S. Grove can experience similar conditions but has more places to hide behind to get out of the current.

we dove the bibb this morning and zero current(pics tonight), no mooring line necessary for descent or ascent! same on the duane; as benign conditions(topside and beneath the water) as you'll ever encounter on those 2 wrecks. luck of the draw! my personal order of preference, DUANE, SG AND THE BIBB. numerous pros and cons on diving each wreck. I suggest you dive both, then if time permits, return and dive your favorite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

the bibb has exposed props, unlike the duane and sg which are buried. from todays dive,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• bibb1.jpg
    bibb1.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 82
  • bibb2.jpg
    bibb2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 73
  • bibb3.jpg
    bibb3.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 78
the bibb has exposed props, unlike the duane and sg which are buried. from todays dive,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo
Whats the depth of those screws?

great photos ...thanks for sharing..love all the deep wrecks off key largo...Quiescence is a great outfit.

I'm a marine biologist and dove both wrecks about 10 years ago. At that time I greatly preferred the Duane as it had a lot more life on it. This was before the S.G. went upright and I'm sure there has been a lot more growth on it since then. I'm not big on wrecks unless there is plenty of life on them to observe and film, so bear that in mind.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Quiescence indicated we'd have the choice and I didn't include the Bibb just because it isn't upright. Perhaps not "fair" but I'm still new to wrecks and the disorientation of trying to view it sideways just seemed like a "next trip" kind of thing.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Quiescence indicated we'd have the choice and I didn't include the Bibb just because it isn't upright. Perhaps not "fair" but I'm still new to wrecks and the disorientation of trying to view it sideways just seemed like a "next trip" kind of thing.

Enjoy your visit to Key Largo, let us know what you did

yes sideways wrecks do play with your mind and perspective, but that's the fun of it..........enjoy your dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom