Dual Wrecks - Long Branch NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out to Dual Wrecks as a shore dive today - beautiful day and I was really looking forward to it... No video no photos - I am going to blame the US Army Corp of Engineers and the sand replenishment project...
Dove through the surf and waves to get to what should have been a 22 to 25 foot depth - instead it was 9 feet... Holy cow - I kept thinking I must be heading north or back to shore - checked my compass at least 10 times. I had no idea they pushed that much sand this past year. So anyway - if you are thinking about diving the Dual Wrecks - give it a couple years to remove the 9+ feet of sand on top...
Had I known I could have saved myself considerable trouble walking all the way to the site. :-(

Shore diving off Long Branch--brings back great memories. When I was a child, I used to go to Long Branch every summer to visit relatives, and we went to the beach whenever we could. My cousin (4 years older) became a diver in the early 1960s, and I watched in fascination as he geared up and entered the surf (solo) with his speargun. I did not become a diver for decades after that, but I believe that introduction had a lot to do with my going in that direction.

BTW, I recently asked him about the training he had received when he first started diving. He said he had bought all the gear at a local sporting goods store, and the salesman gave him an explanation of what he needed to do. He said it took about 5 minutes.

Went out to Dual Wrecks as a shore dive today - beautiful day and I was really looking forward to it... No video no photos - I am going to blame the US Army Corp of Engineers and the sand replenishment project...
Dove through the surf and waves to get to what should have been a 22 to 25 foot depth - instead it was 9 feet... Holy cow - I kept thinking I must be heading north or back to shore - checked my compass at least 10 times. I had no idea they pushed that much sand this past year. So anyway - if you are thinking about diving the Dual Wrecks - give it a couple years to remove the 9+ feet of sand on top...
Had I known I could have saved myself considerable trouble walking all the way to the site. :-(

Any other dives you'd recommend in Long Branch?

No - not wreck dives. My guess is with the sand replenishment anything along the shore has been buried...

South of Long Branch is Allenhurst Jetty - but you want to dive it when the wave action is low.
MacLearie Park is not bad either - seahorses and tropicals come in from the Gulf Stream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom