Dual Strobe Advice ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Headed out this year with my first "dual strobe" camera set-up. Shot a Nikonos for 20 some odd years with single strobe and then went to digital, again with single strobe.

So, my question is ...what are some of the key things (differences) I need to be thinking about ??

Thanks in advance ...

MJ

be creative - don't get in a rut where your strobes are always in one position. try edge lighting with both strobes - try using one as main and one as fill - try using one on slave and back light or side light your subjects. have fun with lighting!

light & shadows are the basis of photography. if you take time to experiment and see what different strobe positions and variations in power settings between the two can do for your images, you'll start creating images that make you even happier.

oh yeah - and don't forget a dual sync cord or extra sync cords :)

be creative - don't get in a rut where your strobes are always in one position. try edge lighting with both strobes - try using one as main and one as fill - try using one on slave and back light or side light your subjects. have fun with lighting!

light & shadows are the basis of photography. if you take time to experiment and see what different strobe positions and variations in power settings between the two can do for your images, you'll start creating images that make you even happier.

oh yeah - and don't forget a dual sync cord or extra sync cords :)

===================================

Thanks Jason. Been shooting single strobe for decades and finally decided to go for more even lighting provided by the dual set-up. Have the dual synch cord so covered there. Main question is in terms of aiming. From most of what I've read/seen when using a dual strobe set-up the strobe heads appear to be aimed more straight or even outward as opposed to single strobe where you are trying to concentrate the light on the subject.

Thanks again ...

MJ

correct - by aiming slightly outward (sometimes not so slightly), you are "edge lighting" using the soft edge of the light beam.

but keep in mind that you should play around, aim them differently and see how the lighting is impacted, sometimes you will concentrate both on your subject. there are no rules - that's what makes it fun. carrying all this stuff around the world sure aint that much fun :)

A lot of strobe positioning also depends on what kind of shot you're going for. If you're shooting a lot of wide angle stuff, you'll find that obviously with a dual strobe setup you'll be able to get better coverage within your frame. I do a lot of wide angle shooting and typically my strobes are pointed slightly outward, and never straight forward. For macro shots, I often only use one strobe although have two with me, and experiment with edge lighting. I like having some shadowing in my macro shots in general, as that gives an element of depth to the shots, at least that's my preference. The quality of water you're shooting in will also dictate some basics on positioning, as with a lot of particulate matter present, you may need to position the strobes further away from the lens, and maybe slightly forward or back from the plane of the sensor.

A lot of strobe positioning also depends on what kind of shot you're going for. If you're shooting a lot of wide angle stuff, you'll find that obviously with a dual strobe setup you'll be able to get better coverage within your frame. I do a lot of wide angle shooting and typically my strobes are pointed slightly outward, and never straight forward. For macro shots, I often only use one strobe although have two with me, and experiment with edge lighting. I like having some shadowing in my macro shots in general, as that gives an element of depth to the shots, at least that's my preference. The quality of water you're shooting in will also dictate some basics on positioning, as with a lot of particulate matter present, you may need to position the strobes further away from the lens, and maybe slightly forward or back from the plane of the sensor.

=============================

Thanks for that Warren ...

I shoot a combination of normal lens and wide angle. I have an Inon WA that I attach to the port during dives when I run into situation where coverage/distance becomes an issue but I'd have to say that most of my stuff is close up with the normal lens. Will definitely be sort of a fish out of water, so to speak, on this next trip. With the years of experience I have under my belt I should be able to make adjustments as necessary after I see the results from my first dive(s).

Really appreciate the heads-up on the strobe positioning, especially in regard to getting them further away from the lens.

MJ

The distance of the strobe from the camera is less critical when shooting up close, or macro - simply because you have less water to deal with. However, you may notice a dramatic difference for wide angle shots as here, it will really make a difference.

Since you've got lots of experience handling a camera rig underwater, adjustments on the fly shouldn't be an issue. Looking forward to seeing your results....

Back
Top Bottom