Dual Sea and Sea YS-01 over exposing images.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been using one YS-01 for many year without issues. I added a second YS-01 and when both are set to TTL mode the images are all over exposed. I have tried each strobe individually and the images come out fine but if I try to use both the image is way over exposed. I'm using an Olympus TG-5. I'm not sure why but when I try taking a picture above water with both strobes it comes out fine, for some reason the issue only shows up under water. I have resorted to setting the strobes manually but I would like to use TTL.
I tried posting this in the "strobes and lighting" section but have not received any help in two weeks. I'm about fed up with these strobes. Am I the only one that has problems with S&S strobes not exposing the image correctly? I have been doing some more experimenting and the issue is happening above water if the subject is more than a few feet away from the camera. The strobes perform a full dump and the green TTL confirmation light does not come on. I'm using two fiber optic cables attached to the camera. Tonight I will try and daisy chain the second strobe off the first.

Are both strobes firing the pre-flash? Different camera, housing and strobes, but I've had an issue where one of my fiber optic cables wasn't positioned perfectly to pick up the camera flash light, and as a result, the short pre-flash wasn't enough to trigger the pre-flash on the corresponding strobe, while the main flash pulse was strong enough to trigger - as a result, only one strobe fired for TTL metering, but both fired for the main exposure, producing overexposed images. Similar to your experience, it tended to work fine in air, but water inside the plug would attenuate it just enough to trigger the issue.

Back
Top Bottom