Dual or Single Sync Cord?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkstorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am running dual strobes in manual control mode (not TTL). My strobes can be connected with a sync cord or can function as a slave.

I could use a dual sync cord to fire them but are there any disadvantages if I ran a single sync cord to only one of them and fired the other in slave mode?

What are your experiences with this?

Thanks.

While two sync cords cost more there are situations as you experiment with lighting that the slave my not get enough light to fire. Duel sync cords will be more reliable.

I tried that and hated it. Sometimes the slave isn't compatible with the primary strobe (preflash issues). Stretching a fiberoptic cord from strobe to strobe is a PITA, as they fall off, or get stretched to the point of breaking. I've used a dual cord both for ttl and manual firing. The only downside in ttl is that you can't adjust the two strobes to create a primary light and fill light, but you can always set one strobe to manual and minimum for a fill light. In manual mode, there is no downside. They fire reliably and you can set them independently. My only recommendation is to get a supply of Lanocote and apply it to the threads on the sync cord whenever you remove it, as they will weld themselves to aluminum bulkheads in a matter of weeks otherwise. At $180 for a dual sync cord it gets expensive to destroy them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom