Dual Octo Freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu S.

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Under what circumstances should a Sherwood Dual Octo freeflow? Mine does when entering the water and sometimes is difficult to stop. I try changing the position, hitting the purge, tapping on it, and shaking the darn thing, and can go through a couple of hundred pounds of tank air before it stops. The dealer adjusted it by backing off the little nut, but all I have noticed is that the lever rattles more.

Is it acceptable to hook the Dual Octo up to a Mares or Oceanic first stage? (I wasn't told otherwise when I bought it.) These have an IP in the 140 psi range.

Any ideas are appreciated. This thing was expensive!

Thanks / Stu S.

Is the lever loose? It may need to be backed off a little more, or the low pressure seat may need to be replaced.

If you can, hook up an intermediate pressure gauge to the hose and verify that the hose pressure is correct (~140psi).

Stu S.:
I try changing the position, hitting the purge, tapping on it, and shaking the darn thing,

One more way to stop a free flow: Try blowing into the reg. Blow hard like you are trying to clear it. This should force the diaphram outward but if it is already loose I doubt that would work. Sounds like your IP pressure delivered from the 1st stage may be high.

My thinking lately is to use the same exact 2nd stage as I use for a primary for the octo. No cutting corners

The lever is loose. It rattles against the diaphragm. It will even flow when the diaphragm is removed. Is replacing the low pressure seat a simple task for my LDS? Could this be done in time for a Saturday dive?

Yes... I did the blow-into the mouthpiece trick, too. That's no particular help. It eventually stops bubbling all by itself.

Yes, replacing the low pressure seat takes about 5 minutes.

It could also be is a nicked or corroded oriface, which rests against the low pressure seat, or a weak spring, or a bent demand lever (I'm in the office this morning and have my service book). All of these are easy to fix.

yes you can hook up the Dual Octo to a Mares and Oceanic reg, it sounds like it has a weak spring , its an easy fix

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom