Dual O-ring Battery Cover For Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Shearwater,

Would it be possible to either use a Perdix battery cover or to create an upgraded Petrel battery cover with 2 o-rings? I like the idea of added safety provided by the second o-ring as you built it on the Perdix and it would be nice if you would find a way to back-port it to the Petrel somehow.

Thanks.

I've had several Predators & Petrels over the years, Never changed the O-rings & never had one leak, even with the battery hatch covers chipped. Believe me, I beat the hell out of them in the caves. I have even had a Predator that ate batteries & had to constantly change them. Those computers are bullet proof. They have been taken to great depths many times with great pressures exerted on them & never leaked. Could one ever leak?..... I suppose so,... but highly doubt it.

Reactions: Jax
Tammy, I had a Predator that started eating batteries and I sent it in to Shearwater. They replaced the mother board at no cost and it fixed the problem.

-----

To the OP, I've been diving Petrels and Predators for several years now in technical and cave diving and I've also never had a leak in the battery compartment. My understanding is however it that occurred, it would be a non event anyway as the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the unit.

If the battery compartment is really sealed, indeed, I would not suffer that much (there should be a backup plan for a computer failure anyway, so even if water kills the battery, bad luck and dive again tomorrow). I would suffer a lot though if that (salt) water would enter inside and kill my Petrel. So if you are correct, then I will not care about the dual o-ring anymore.

Tammy, I had a Predator that started eating batteries and I sent it in to Shearwater. They replaced the mother board at no cost and it fixed the problem.
I have long since sold the battery eating Predator. I now have 2 stand alone Petrels & 1 controller petrel on my Prism2.

Back
Top Bottom