DSS wing needed ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Tobin-

I am looking to replace my Oxycheq with a DSS and was wondering how much lift would be required.

I am 5.10 - 196 lbs
I dive mostly in 3mm full suit but I am looking to do cold water diving so I would first go with 7 mm and later upgrade to a dry suit (whenever I can afford that).
Tanks? I dont own these. Rental places mostly give AL 80s but I have been on liveaboards where I had to dive with steel.

If I am not missing anything up there could you please recommend a wing for me?

Kind regards -

S/H

Hello Tobin-

I am looking to replace my Oxycheq with a DSS and was wondering how much lift would be required.

I am 5.10 - 196 lbs
I dive mostly in 3mm full suit but I am looking to do cold water diving so I would first go with 7 mm and later upgrade to a dry suit (whenever I can afford that).
Tanks? I dont own these. Rental places mostly give AL 80s but I have been on liveaboards where I had to dive with steel.

If I am not missing anything up there could you please recommend a wing for me?

Kind regards -

S/H

SH,

If you are looking for one wing to use with a variety of exposure suits it will have to be sized for the most buoyant suit. This is likely either the 7mm suit or ultimately your dry suit.

Given that you don't yet have your drysuit we will have to make an educated guess about how buoyant this suit may be.

Are you cold tolerant or do you get cold easily?

Height and weight?

With buoyant suits the cylinder type is less important, less negative cylinders simply mean more ballast and negative cylinders less additional ballast. In a buoyant suit the diver almost always needs some additional ballast. With buoyant suits the cylinder type seldom dictates the minimum wing size.

Tobin

Thanks so much for the reply Tobin. I am 5.10 and 196 lbs. I do not get cold easily. I think my tolerence to cold is much better than most people. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks so much for the reply Tobin. I am 5.10 and 196 lbs. I do not get cold easily. I think my tolerence to cold is much better than most people. Please let me know if you need more info.

It's unlikely your drysuit will be more than 30 lbs positive.

I'd recommend a LCD 30.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom