DSS weight plate and doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

I have a DSS bp, with the weight plates attached. Is this easily convertible to doubles or do the weight plates need to come off. I would prefer to leave the plates on if feasible. (Note. I'm well aware of the weight I need; the style of diving I do has a balanced set up, with weight on the rig irrespective of whether I use the plates or use a v-weight and tail pouch.) I assume the plates would push the tanks back about 3/8", which might necessitate a longer bolt.

The weight plates aren't compatible with doubles. You have to take them off, because the cylinders would not sit flat against either the backplate or the weights.

Hi Folks,

I have a DSS bp, with the weight plates attached. Is this easily convertible to doubles or do the weight plates need to come off. I would prefer to leave the plates on if feasible. (Note. I'm well aware of the weight I need; the style of diving I do has a balanced set up, with weight on the rig irrespective of whether I use the plates or use a v-weight and tail pouch.) I assume the plates would push the tanks back about 3/8", which might necessitate a longer bolt.

Using the DSS weight plates with doubles would require longer tank band bolts, typically long enough that the bolts will project past the "plane" of the cylinders. That means the bolts will get bent or they will rip any soft surface the tanks might get laid down on. Also if these tanks with longer bolts are used on a plate without weight plates the risk of damage to the diver and or their exposure suit is much greater.

Finally there is no reason to use the weight plates with doubles. If you need to add ballast to a doubles rig simply place soft weights between the wing and the plate. The plate clamps everything in place and the band bolts keep the weight pouches from falling out the top or bottom. The amount of weight is easily adjustable, and this avoids all the headaches associated with longer bolts.

Tobin

If you need to add ballast to a doubles rig simply place soft weights between the wing and the plate.

I assume you mean one of the pockets meant to hold shot ("soft v-weight")? If not, please show a picture of what you mean.

I assume you mean one of the pockets meant to hold shot ("soft v-weight")? If not, please show a picture of what you mean.

No pictures, sorry. Lay your doubles down on a bench bolts up. Lay your wing over the bolts.

Place soft weight pouches on the wing in the "V" formed between the two cylinders.

Add the back plate and tighten the thumbwheels.

Done.

The wing keeps the pouches from passing between the tanks.

The band bolts keep the pouches from falling out the top or bottom.

The plate kinda clamps everything in place.

With 7, or 7.25" tanks, a 215 mm manifold and a back plate with a shallow center channel it's possible to get ~10 lbs of ballast in this space.

With 8" tanks and or a plate with a deep center channel the available volume will be less, but often the cylinders are more negative anyway.

I should credit the late Marc Hall, my GUE fundies instructor, for showing me this handy means adding ballast to a set of doubles.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom