DSS OPV kit on Halcyon Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'd like to install a DSS Basic OPV Kit DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail on a Halcyon single tank wing. Is this kit known to fit a Halcyon wing, and would I also need the Hex Outer Nut?
Thanks.

I'd like to install a DSS Basic OPV Kit DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail on a Halcyon single tank wing. Is this kit known to fit a Halcyon wing, and would I also need the Hex Outer Nut?
Thanks.

If you want the factory answer, i.e. from DSS, I'd suggest in the future that you contact DSS directly. If you want a scatter gun of on point, off point, sorta right and out right wrong information social media is your friend. :)

We sell many OPV kits for use on Halcyon wings. Halcyon has over time changed the way they make wings. Earlier halcyon wings require the hex outer nut, and newer ones, to the best of my knowledge do not. I have no idea when halcyon made the change, they didn't send me a memo when they made the change.

It the fittings are welded to the bladder you need the basic kit, if they aren't we recommend the hex outer nut in addition to the basic kit.

If you need help determining if your fittings are welded I'd suggest you call. 626-799-5074 M-F 9-5

Tobin

I don't understand the issue. You unscrew the old OPV and screw the new one from DSS on. I have them on both of my Halcyon wings, along with a Dive Rite on the rebreather and the Stealth 2 sidemount wing. They work great!

I don't understand the issue. You unscrew the old OPV and screw the new one from DSS on. I have them on both of my Halcyon wings, along with a Dive Rite on the rebreather and the Stealth 2 sidemount wing. They work great!

Thanks for the kind words Ron.

Here is the problem with this type of question and a public forum; individuals often don't understand the issue, they haven't seen the range of conflicts that can arise. They know only what they have experienced.

We would not offer two kits, one with and one without the hex outer nut if a single SKU would work on all wings.

The answer for the OP is "maybe" and selecting the right kit requires very specific information about his exact wing.

Halcyon changed from a 3 piece screw together fitting to welded on fittings a few years ago. Most likely they made a "running change" meaning they used up the three piece fittings and bladders and then started using the welded fittings. Perfectly reasonable way to phase in a change. Did all wings change at the same time? Probably not. Is it possible that dealers might have old stock? Almost certainly. Do divers know the exact vintage of used gear? Almost never. That makes it difficult for DSS to say "Halcyon wings made after 20XX need the basic kit only".

When divers on a public board chime in and say "Mine worked great" or "I needed the hex nut" it does nothing to identify the specific circumstances of the wing the OP has, and can lead to confusion.

OTOH if the diver has the wing on hand and calls DSS we can determine what they need in short order.

Tobin

I ordered the kit with the hex nut. Turned out I didn't need it, but the OPV works perfectly and I love that thick cord!

I ordered the kit with the hex nut.
Me too, but I did need the hex outer nut for my old Halcyon wing. Well designed product, and I'm getting one for another wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom