DSS Medium Or Halcyon Small Stainless Steel Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I asked you before. What is the reason you need small plate? If it is like me, because first stage hitting head, take a look at HOG plate. It has a set of holes about 1 inch lower than the rest. Using this set of holes, the tank can be mounted lower than H small plate by 0.5 inch (rough estimation). I am currently using HOG AL plate, so far, the tank height problem is gone. I can show you both when I am back in town. But if you need small plate for other reason, then never mind.

I think I asked you before. What is the reason you need small plate? If it is like me, because first stage hitting head, take a look at HOG plate. It has a set of holes about 1 inch lower than the rest. Using this set of holes, the tank can be mounted lower than H small plate by 0.5 inch (rough estimation). I am currently using HOG AL plate, so far, the tank height problem is gone. I can show you both when I am back in town. But if you need small plate for other reason, then never mind.

Not just tank height issue. A full size plate, 15" or so, has the waist belt a bit too low for me, with the shoulder straps almost horizontal to the top of the plate. I now dive a small plate, 13"' which is a tad too short. I think. 14" plate will be just right, so DSS medium or Halcyon Small.

Why do you use an AL plate? How much weight do you add for you single 100 and double 80 rigs?

Edit: oops meant to PM...out of sorts working my iPad from Istanbul.

I am diving in Hawaii now. I used to have OMS AL plate, I just sold it and trying a HOG plate because I don't want to spend the money on H AL small plate. Tank position is so far so good with HOG, no head hitting 1st stage issue. But HOG AL plate seems to use thinner aluminum than OMS. Doesn't feel as solid. HOG's powder coat is also not as bought as OMS's anodize coating. I think neither should be an issue for their SS plate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom