DSLR vs. PnS... no comparison...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, after shooting with my S70 UW, and producing some very nice results, I just printed off a few 8x10's from the S70.

I'm dissapointed. The quality is just not there compared to my DSLR.

Overall I'm happy with the results. The images provide memories, and turned out well. However, I guess I'm just used to a much higher standard (MUCH), and for those who have been on the PnS bandwagon, when it comes to high quality prints, the DSLR is so far beyond my S70 it's not funny...

In any event, I have to remind myself I'm not making a living shooting UW images, and what I got was fun to shoot, and fun to process. If you are not aware of some of the images I shot, here are a few. I will post more as time allows as I have a lot of this quality. They do look great on a puter! :D Unfortunately they just don't stand up as well in prints.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/31565

Well, I can't argue against the quality of a PNS against a DSLR. But think about it this way, its a hell of a lot cheaper :). Are u using a strobe on any of the pics? It goes a long way in improving the quality (instead of PS).

before strobe:

24265school_of_fusiliers.jpg

after strobe:

coral_reef_3.jpg

the only thing I did on the second shot was to balance the brightness in PS, while the first took A LOT of adjustments in PS.

NOTE: the whole set up with camera is cheaper than the housing for a D70... :D

Apples and elephants.

I know of at least one shooter who is using a "P&S" and jas published in well known, high circulation mags...so there's more to the story as usual.

Each tool is different and each artist must make the most of the proper tool.

Happy shooting with whatever system takes your fancy!

alcina:
Apples and elephants.

I know of at least one shooter who is using a "P&S" and jas published in well known, high circulation mags...so there's more to the story as usual.

Each tool is different and each artist must make the most of the proper tool.

Happy shooting with whatever system takes your fancy!

:wink: To quote Fuzzy Zoeller, the Professional Golfer

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

I'll bet I can take just as crappy a pic with a DSLR as I can with a PnS:) It just won't hurt as bad when I consider how much I spent for my crap:)

I'll leave the high end equipment to those with the skill to properly use them.

Jet
PS: Joking, folks! Just joking.

Having recently acquired a decent DSLR setup, coming from a P&S system, I can tell you that it is primarily what's behind the viewfinder that makes most of the difference. There still is a learning curve and it's easy to take a crappy pictures with either system, but the ability to take some amazing shots is there. I just have to figure out how to do it. :)

No, no, no, you have it all wrong, it is not about what's better, it is about "my toy is bigger than your toy" :D

I'm always open to suggestions for improving.

I posted a link to some of the images from the S70. They are in focus, good DOF, good color, and composition IMO is also nice.

However the reality is that when I print them, they are lacking the silky tonal qualities, and overall crispness and detail that I get from my DSLR at 8x10. Since I don't have to upres to print, the detail is what it is.

This comes as not so much a surprise, tiny lens covering a tiny sensor. :D

Maybe the better optics on the Oly 8080 or 7070 produces crisper results in prints. As for can a photographer make ALL the difference, well there is a reason why Pro's use the equipment they do, and it's not because they love to haul around huge amounts of stuff. If one wants to argure that a master can produce stunning results with a pin hole camera, well that is debatable, and photography is an equipment based art.

In any event, I'll work a bit more with them. Maybe there are things I need to change in my workflow when printing that can help. My workflow is taylored to DSLR shooting, so I'll try and think of ways to refine it to the S70.

As for enjoying larger prints off of a PnS (NWGratefulDiver has some of mine framed at 8x10 and one at 11x17) it definitely helps to have no frame of reference and an undiscerning eye. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom