DSD + OW - Dive shop recommendation - Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackuk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all
icosm14.gif
Unfortunately due to a bike accident, couldn't do my DSD+OW, in Sabang ! as I had planned earlier.
I am looking to do DSD and OW in Bali (Kuta etc) this month, would be grateful for any dive shop recommendations. Btw I am a complete beginner.
Thanks for any advice.
Jack

Hi jackuk,
I would recommend Bali Blue Dive, I dived with them at Menjangan Island and Tulamben Wreck. The DM is very good, ask for Wayan, he is local DM and knows Tulamben wreck like the back of his hand.
Also he handles new divers very carefully. He will routinely ask your reserve air, and will turn back so that you will end the dive with 500 psig in your tank.

They will also help arrange your accomodation, and offer pickups at the airport.

This is their website:
bluedivebali.com - news

Hi all
icosm14.gif
Unfortunately due to a bike accident, couldn't do my DSD+OW, in Sabang ! as I had planned earlier.
I am looking to do DSD and OW in Bali (Kuta etc) this month, would be grateful for any dive shop recommendations. Btw I am a complete beginner.
Thanks for any advice.
Jack

Jack,

It's a long drive from Kuta to Tulamben or Pemuteran (Mejangan), the roads are far from perfect and the traffic can be described as 'nasty'. I would recommend you relocate to the East or North coasts of Bali for your diving.

Kuta would never be my personal choice of a where to stay in Bali, but to each his own.

As JohnN says, Kuta is not a great base if you plan to dive (or learn to dive). Most of the dive centres are in Sanur, Tulamben, Padang Bai, CandiDasa and Amed. It might be worth moving to one of these areas if you plan to take your Open water course, although the travel time would be just about tolerable for a one day Discover Scuba (DSD).

Bongabonga recommended a DM in his thread, but unless this local DM is DSD qualified, he would not be able to teach your DSD lesson, and certainly not in the ocean (pool or pool-like conditions only for DM qualification). Find yourself an Instructor for your DSD course.

Bongabonga recommended a DM in his thread, but unless this local DM is DSD qualified, he would not be able to teach your DSD lesson, and certainly not in the ocean (pool or pool-like conditions only for DM qualification). Find yourself an Instructor for your DSD course.

My mistake. I didn't realize he was looking for DSD class.
I couldn't remember if they offer DSD session, but AFAIK they offered OW classes. Check their website.

As JohnN says, Kuta is not a great base if you plan to dive (or learn to dive). Most of the dive centres are in Sanur, Tulamben, Padang Bai, CandiDasa and Amed. It might be worth moving to one of these areas if you plan to take your Open water course, although the travel time would be just about tolerable for a one day Discover Scuba (DSD).

And they were located in east beach of Bali, which will take 2 hour drive from Sanur (+1 hour if you drive from Kuta).
It is good idea to relocate to these area if you planning to take OW class.

MA:
Also don't waste money on a dad if you're definitely doing ow!

When taking the OW course after a DSD in the same dive center, the common practise is to do not charge the DSD and include its content into the OW course.

DSD being a good way to confirm that you'll love diving and cheaper than starting the OW course & quiting it for any reason.

Most of the DC do this, just ask the DC you'll visit about it to be sure ...

As MA and zivva have said, if you plan to definately take your full Open water course, then there is no need to take a DSD course first, unless you are unsure whether diving is for you, or you have problems equalising your ears on land and want to test this at depth, or if you don't have time for the full O/W course.

And as zivva said, as long as you take your O/W course with the dive centre where you took your DSD class, you should get some discount. This differs from centre to centre, as does the time limit between taking the DSD and it counting towards the O/W course.

Shop around, and safe diving

I would suggest going to see Two Fish Divers on Nusa Lembongan. They will look after you!

Hi Instructorinasia,

Thanks for the recommendation! Always good to hear that! For the rest i will say the same about doing a dsd before! It's always good to try before and then make the course. And doesn't cost extra most of the time!

See you guys!

Laurent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom