DSC-P5 recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakamin

Reaction score
Hi,

Just about to take my first trip with my DSC-P5 and newly acquired underwater housing. I am wondering if anyone has experience with what settings work best underwater. High or normal flash level? Auto ISO or speed it up? White balance setting? Etc. I am not very experienced with photography in general (one of the reasons I like the dcs-p5 - mostly point and shoot) and would appreciate any pointers people may have.

Thanks,
Rich

I've got the DSC-P5 and have been using it for a 2 years, 3000 pictures later.

The settings I use underwater are as follows. Flash forced On, Low power setting (not what you would guess, any other setting is just to hot), Wide angle (always, forget the zoom underwater), Macro Mode On (if it's out of range of the macro it's to far away), ASA setting I've been using Auto but really think 200 or 400 is the right answer, and everything else Auto. Resist the urge to play with the sharpness, it will increase the contrast, but if overdone will kill the picture.

On the battery life, Keep the Power Save On, I was able to get two dives on one battery but it was a challenge. I would switch on the camera, take a picture and turn it back off, this will also minimize fogging. It will charge back up pretty quickly, maybe a hour or two. Be very, very carefull about sealing the case, two big issues, the shape of the o-ring (needs to be very clean, remember one hair or spec of sand and your camera's toast), and the humidity when you seal it. You want very dry air in your camera case anything else and it will fog. A carefull cleaning of the inside of the case will help this also. If it does fog you will not get any pictures till you dry it.

Have you thought about how you are going to attach the camera. It is slightly negative undeerwater, I have a nightmare of watching my camera dissappearing into the deep blue. What I use is a coiled lanyard clipped to my BC. When I get in or out of the water the caerma goes in a BC pocket for protection, once at depth, out of the pocket, unclip the lanyard and I can hold the camera at arms length. If not in use under a BC strap.

The other advice is learn everything you can about the camera before you go underwater. You don't want to be going up the learning curve of the camera while swimming in rip current with hammerheads. Shot anything that moves and alot of stuff that doesn't, right now. Remember it's digital and pictures are free. Learn how to switch Macro Off and On quickly. The other feature that is very handy, last picture preview. If your looking at the last picture, hit the zoom button and you can zoom in to check the focus. If not in focus shoot another.

Best of luck and we want to see the results.

Thanks for your reply. I will keep it all in mind and let you know how it works out.

rich

do u always have the flash on?
so far my experience, twice, pool and quarry, the flash provides nothing but serious backscatter.
lots of particles in those two atmospheres, though.

Yes, flash always on. I don't know how to reduce backscatter but somehow I do. It is not really a big problem, I lose many more pictures to missed focus and/or movement blur. The best way to reduce it is to get close and then get closer, less water between you and the subject. Here's a bunch of examples all taken with the P5 internal flash, forced ON.

Bonaire Pictures

I don't use a Sony but a Canon S30, however the principles are the same. I have to mostly agree with Cecil on camera settings: Force flash at low setting, wide angle, ASA 200. You must get close to get good pics and therefore the low flash setting. I didn't understand the Macro suggestion until I saw his pics, and now I agree on Macro if you are getting as close as he did. (VERY nice shots, Cecil!!)

If you are taking wider (landscape) pics you might want more flash but then scatter becomes a problem. If you are trying to get up-close to sea-life then the low flash setting is much better. Without flash everything comes out very blue and is hard to adjust out (but not impossible). Depth and sun angle makes a big difference also. If you are 60' or less and the sun is bright and overhead (noon) then you might be okay without flash on landscape pics, but my 90' pics and early morning dives really came out blue.

After my first UW/photog experience I learned a great deal. #1 is get CLOSE for the best pics. Landscape doesn't work too good and the flash will cause scatter if there is anything in the water.

Back
Top Bottom