DSAT or Z+ algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpf1230

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a new diver and purchased an Oceanic Proplus 3. They don't have an online training class for it yet so I've been going through the manual. It has a dual algorithm for either DSAT or Z+. I'm curious as to the differences (in normal English) and which algorithm is the better choice for fewer stops while remaining safe.

Todd

z+ is more conservative - check out your no deco times at various depths in plan mode (which I assume your comp has) to see the differences.

Both algorithms are quite safe. The DSAT algorithm (basis for the PADI RDP) matches many other computers and the older Oceanic/Aeris (which only had that algorithm). It works just fine for repetitive non-deco diving, with only moderate surface intervals required. The Z+ (basically a Buhlmann algorithm) is essential if you are doing any deco diving, and perfectly fine for NDL dives.

One consideration is what is your buddy diving, and do you have a second computer you are carrying? You really don't want all the computers in use on you and your buddy to have different algorithms; it won't make much difference on just one dive, but on multi-days of multiple dives the differences accumulate, and it is hard to dive together.

I have the 3plus as well and have decided to go with the Z+ plus tables, since getting bent in November 2023 and my age factor I choose to play it safe

I had an Oceanic computer for years, and always set it to DSAT with no additional conservatism. This will give you basically the same NDLs etc as using the PADI tables. But because there’s no conservatism built in, it’s on the user (you!) to not ride your NDLs and be sensible about how to use the info your computer is telling you.

Setting my Teric to a 95/95 GF seems to roughly approximate my Oceanic in DSAT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom