ds4 routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Preach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, i just started getting into SM diving. I'm looking for some options as for the hose routing of a ds4.
Any tips/tricks (maybe with foto's) will be a big help! I use a long/shorthose configuration.

the biggest problem you'll have with the DS4's is the fact that they only have a single HP port so you won't be able to have them perfectly symmetrical.

As far as routing, there's nothing special about routing with that regulator you just have to decide whether your SPG's are up, or down.

I got them like this now:

20180904_152919.jpg
20180904_153337.jpg

the hose lengths are still not correct tho, this is what i had laying around from stages/bm sets. I need to get some new hoses.

@Preach it is about what works for you. The long hose is similar to hose mine is set up when I use a first stage without a swivel turret.
On my short hose side I put both the inflator and regulator hose facing up but they have to be the right lengths to do that properly. Nothing wrong with setting them up like that until you get everything sorted out though

@Preach it is about what works for you. The long hose is similar to hose mine is set up when I use a first stage without a swivel turret.
On my short hose side I put both the inflator and regulator hose facing up but they have to be the right lengths to do that properly. Nothing wrong with setting them up like that until you get everything sorted out though

I made 1 test dive with this set last week. The inflator hose is too long, but doesn't really bother me while diving (although i will still change them to shorter hoses). the regulator hose on the other hand..... it's a 39 inches miflex hose. A buoyant miflex hose doesn't really help if its this long, it starts floating over my head.
Looking for a 31 inch hose, probably a normal rubber one.
Putting the inflator and regulator hose up on the short hose side seems better for the tension on the hoses, i will try that when i have the correct hose lengths.

It's really strange when your so used to backmount to dive with something else :D

This is how I have mine set up for reference. Obviously a Poseidon so I can mirror them, but same basic concept. There is a cootwo hanging off of the inflator hose which is the green thing doing O2 analyzing in this picture, but you can see how they're routed.

15025390_10157748947445134_3212809053223266062_o.jpg

DS4's are obviously not the optimal first stages for sidemount diving, but as you've seen, they are workable. I'd uncant the regs though. The hoses will lay a little flatter if they are square to the valve. Once you get the right hose lengths they will be much more comfortable too.

This is how I have mine set up for reference. Obviously a Poseidon so I can mirror them, but same basic concept. There is a cootwo hanging off of the inflator hose which is the green thing doing O2 analyzing in this picture, but you can see how they're routed.

View attachment 478194

How long is your short regulator hose?

DS4's are obviously not the optimal first stages for sidemount diving, but as you've seen, they are workable. I'd uncant the regs though. The hoses will lay a little flatter if they are square to the valve. Once you get the right hose lengths they will be much more comfortable too.

I can't the first stages over just a little bit to get the hoses to lay a bit flatter, but not quite at the extreme of the DS4's pictured above.

@Preach I'm a big dude, 6'4" with a 52" chest, and I keep my bottles VERY far back. My short hose is 32" with a ball swivel on it and it is the right length. 30" is more common. You may be able to find a 28-30" hose easily since they are the "standard" length regulator hose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom