Drysuits and weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
OK, I am having trouble figuring this out. I bought some new gear over the winter and I can't figure out how much weight to bring when I try out all of the stuff next weekend at Dutch Springs. My biggest problem is with my new dry suit. I bought a Viking X-treme a few weeks ago and I am not sure how to account for it when adding up my weight belt.

I know that I should be neutral at 15’ with 500lbs of air in my tank and my BC empty. Last year I pretty much had that down carrying 28lbs. I was diving with an Al 80 and a 5 mil two-piece wetsuit. I bought steel 120’s and was told I should be able to remove 5lbs from my weight belt. Should I add or remove any weight for the dry suit? I’m looking for something to get me close so that I can check for the proper weighting at the end of the dive.

I know there are a bunch of math experts out there who probably have the right formula, so any help is most appreciated.

By the way, is it Drysuit, or Dry Suit?

Thanks

Ty

Originally posted by tchil01
By the way, is it Drysuit, or Dry Suit?
Who cares.... your choice since the Board doesn't have spell check.

Ty, hopefull you will be able to get rid of weight eventually.... and if you don't dive your drysuit like bubble boy then you will do well...

For starters though just use the same weight that your did with your wetsuit minus the 5#s for the steel tank.

TIP:
March out into the water holding your neck seal open and let all the air out.... stop before you start letting water in.

This is a proper suit squeeze.... now during your dive don't add any more air to the suit than is necessary to get this level of squeeze. Use your BC for buoyancy control. Watch yourself as you get toward the end of your dive that you don't let the suit gas expand on ascent.... vent!

Course if you really wanted to do it right you would just empty the jug to 500 psi go to the beach with a bunch of weight bags and play with it until you had it right.... right? But shoot who wants to waste a dive!!!! Me neither.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom