Drysuit zipper repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1fspeed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most of what I can find online pertains to zipper replacement, or issues with zipper teeth. I have a section of zipper where the adhesive has let go from the suit. Wondering if I can repair the section with aqua seal or does the zipper need to come out completely for a proper repair. The zipper seems to be separating over a 4-6" section, with a 1-2" section that has let loose completely.

The suit is a Bare Xcs2 - compressed neoprene.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 85
Yes, you can repair if you are comfortable with DIY activities. Easiest method is to rough up the mating surfaces as best as you can, then clean thoroughly with acetone. Then smear the mating surfaces with aquaseal, press together, ensure no gaps and let dry. Once dry, put another layer over the seam on the inside of the suit.

Before starting any of this, probably a good idea to pull on the seam that’s come apart and make sure the area thats not adhering extends only as far as what’s already separated. If it’s bigger than what has already separated, you need to pull apart and reseal that at the same time. If the gap is much bigger, you may want to use contact cement to re-attach the zipper and then seal the seam with aquaseal.

Yes, you can repair if you are comfortable with DIY activities. Easiest method is to rough up the mating surfaces as best as you can, then clean thoroughly with acetone. Then smear the mating surfaces with aquaseal, press together, ensure no gaps and let dry. Once dry, put another layer over the seam on the inside of the suit.

Before starting any of this, probably a good idea to pull on the seam that’s come apart and make sure the area thats not adhering extends only as far as what’s already separated. If it’s bigger than what has already separated, you need to pull apart and reseal that at the same time. If the gap is much bigger, you may want to use contact cement to re-attach the zipper and then seal the seam with aquaseal.
I'm a DIY'r to a fault so once the suit dries out (got pretty wet today) I'll see if I can patch it up.

Thanks for the detailed response! Super helpful:cheers:

How did your repair work? Any lessons learned?

How did your repair work? Any lessons learned?
It worked out great! As Curious_George pointed out, the seam was indeed weak well beyond what was leaking. Ended up pulling apart a good 10-12" of zipper before I got to something solid. Spent quite bit of time removing old adhesive and cleaning with acetone. Applied a coat of contact cement and pressed the seam together between a couple strips of wood, and three clamps.

One issue - The contact cement squeezed out such that it adhered nearly to the teeth of the zipper in one spot. As in the teeth of the zipper is suppose to fold away from the suit somewhat but I kinda glued it down tighter than would be ideal - works fine but have to be careful zipping across that spot. Hard to describe but basically I used a bit too much contact cement.

I've done maybe 20 leak free dives since the repair :cool:

Back
Top Bottom