Drysuit zipper: Bare manual calls for silicone grease at docking end (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I thought silicone products were bad news for drysuit zippers? My Bare CD4 manual says this though:

"Apply a small amount of silicone grease to the sealing surface of where the slider completes closure of the zipper. The rubber ridges that can be seen on the inside of the docking end is where the grease should be applied."

Any guidance on products to use? How about o-ring silicone grease?

TIA!

Matt S.:
I thought silicone products were bad news for drysuit zippers? My Bare CD4 manual says this though:

"Apply a small amount of silicone grease to the sealing surface of where the slider completes closure of the zipper. The rubber ridges that can be seen on the inside of the docking end is where the grease should be applied."

Any guidance on products to use? How about o-ring silicone grease?

TIA!

That's what I use, but just on the end of the zipper closure where a seal is formed, not on the zipper itself.

Good thought, my (another brand) drysuit has a similar docking arrangement at closure and there was a wad of grease in there when I got it new last season. Another dab is due.

This is ahead of the teeth in the "end zone" where the slider merges into a dovetail sort of reciever.

Pete

I'm glad the o-ring grease will do the job, one less thing to buy. :) Thanks.

As far as know, the reasons why that grease sould not be used for drysuits are
- Grease catches dust, which may damage watertight seal
- Silicone grease prevents adhesion of repair patches when it spreads

Therefopre, SMALL amount of grease ONLY on the zipper ends may not be any problem.

Back
Top Bottom