Drysuit Weighting Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daval

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am looking into buying a Trilam Shell Drysuit - most likely a XXXL. I am 6'5" and weigh 290 lbs. Wear a Seaquest Pro QD+ BC, and will be using an AL80 tank.

Approximately how much weight will I be needing using approx 200g of fleece underwear?

Currently using a 3mm shorty in the pool i use 6lbs.

I know everyone is different, but i'm curious as to what the approx requirement for weight is with a shell drysuit. BTW. I will be using the BC for buouancy and drysuit strictly to stay warm and dry.

Daval

Find a pool. Start with 500-750lbs in your Al 80. Start with 25lbs. Adjust from there until you reach optimum buoyancy.

Remember, as you relax and become accustomed to the dry suit, you will probably be able to drop weight.

TwoBit

hey daval,

as mentioned, the best way to determine your ideal weight is to do a proper buoyancy check, wearing all the gear you plan to wear. The good thing about trilam drysuits is that they aren't as positively buoyant as neoprene, which means you wont need a whole lotta weight starting out. And it will definitly drop with experience.

SF

What I found out is neoprene and trilam weights are the same for me because I get cold fast and need a lot of thermal protection under the trilam making up for the neoprene I swapped.

Well here the deal. If you are going to spend a lot of money on this suit at a LDS tell them you want a pool session to weight yourself and make sure you keep a good accurate log on gear used for a certain weight. Keep adding or subtracting a lb until you can get down nice and easy. You'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom