DrySuit warmth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WrekDvr

Reaction score
This may seem like a weird question. I don't mean it to be. But has any one ever tried using pantyhose with a drysuit for non bulky warmth? I've heard some people talk about it but not sure if its actually worth it.

What kind of suit, it could be relevent.

I am diving an Otter its a shell suit from England. I figured in the less than freezing days the pantyhose idea could work.

if they're cotton- they wont work. They'll soak up any wet/sweat and end up making you cold. Thermal long-johns are a great way to go. They're light, and thin compared to some other undergarments. Thermal gear wicks sweat away from your skin keeping you warm.

SF

Warmth comes almost directly from bulk. The only warmth in a drysuit comes from air, the actual insulator, trapped in undergarments. While something as thin as pantyhose might be marginally warmer than nothing at all, it definitely won't keep you warm in even cool water.

jonnythan:
...pantyhose might be marginally warmer than nothing at all, it definitely won't keep you warm in even cool water.

No, but you'll look good between dives! :eyebrow:

WrekDvr:
This may seem like a weird question. I don't mean it to be. But has any one ever tried using pantyhose with a drysuit for non bulky warmth? I've heard some people talk about it but not sure if its actually worth it.

You'd be better off with a very thin polypro or minimum thickness thinsulate.

As Jonnythan stated it's the gas trapped in your undies that helps maintain warmth
not the undies themselves. And pantyhose, regardless of how wonderful they
make you look, don't trap gas.

I've heard of old-timers using pantyhose to make it easier to get their wetsuits on (in the days before linings), and I've heard of divers and surfers using 'em to prevent jelly fish stings (evidently the stingers are too short to even penetrated pantyhose), but I have to go with the consensus on this one.

After hearing women claim that they stayed much warmer with hose on under a dress, I tried wearing my lycra running tights under my slacks when it was cold out. I actually felt colder with the lycra than without. So my guess is (and it will remain a guess, as I will not be testing the hypothesis) that pantyhose don’t do much for insulation.

They will, however, when worn over the head, distort your features enough to make you unrecognizable to your dive buddies.

Back
Top Bottom