Drysuit undersuit recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teo Heyl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

I need two undersuit recomendations. I just got an Apeks KVR1 drysuit and the Aqualung Bullet neoprene shell (as an extra)
1) I usually dive in temperatures between 14C and 21C. So which undersuit would you recommend- if at all- because I know due to the double layer system of the KVR1 it is relatively insulated on its own.
2) I am planning a trip to Plura this December so I will definitely need an undersuit. Which would you recommend. Something that won't break the bank.
3) If you have knowledge of these suits' availability in South Africa that would be great!
4) I have the Aqualung ez on dry gloves (the ones that you pull over the wrist wring and just put a rubber ring over it). Would you recommend investing in a proper dry glove system?

Regards
Teo

Those aren’t super cold temperatures. Do you need to stay really warm, or are you tough in the cold? Are you in a deco or overhead environment, or can you end the dive if the suit fails? Suggesting you cheap out with regular long underwear instead of purpose built diving undergarment.

Proper dry gloves sacrifice dexterity. If you don’t really need that warmth, I prefer gloves I can easily take off underwater.

Plura is in the north of Norway, above the artic circle
Expect extremely cold water, that will then freeze on your drysuit in December before you can get it off.
Exotherm undergarments, Weezle Artic or Extreme +, and the Santi BZ400 heated overall, dry gloves, a tight fitting 3/8" or 1/2" hood, a Gralmarine 40+Ah heating battery (Gralmarine because they use a 4S LiIon battery instead of everybody elses 3S batterys). Eat hot food and drink hot drinks before the dive and expect to call the dive because you start shivering sometime after 2.5 hrs.
Plura in December or January is really the wrong time of year with no sunlight. Norwegians hibernate from Nov to the end of Feb:drunks:

Michael

Those aren’t super cold temperatures. Do you need to stay really warm, or are you tough in the cold? Are you in a deco or overhead environment, or can you end the dive if the suit fails? Suggesting you cheap out with regular long underwear instead of purpose built diving undergarment.

Proper dry gloves sacrifice dexterity. If you don’t really need that warmth, I prefer gloves I can easily take off underwater.
I will be doing 60m deco dives. So no canning the dive until I'm clear of deco. Unfortunately I do get cold easily

Plura is in the north of Norway, above the artic circle
Expect extremely cold water, that will then freeze on your drysuit in December before you can get it off.
Exotherm undergarments, Weezle Artic or Extreme +, and the Santi BZ400 heated overall, dry gloves, a tight fitting 3/8" or 1/2" hood, a Gralmarine 40+Ah heating battery (Gralmarine because they use a 4S LiIon battery instead of everybody elses 3S batterys). Eat hot food and drink hot drinks before the dive and expect to call the dive because you start shivering sometime after 2.5 hrs.
Plura in December or January is really the wrong time of year with no sunlight. Norwegians hibernate from Nov to the end of Feb:drunks:

Michael
Thanks for the feedback!

Will definitely look into the equipment!
Unfortunately the only available time I have for a trip like Plura is December.
I will be diving OC. So dives shouldn't be longer than 2.5 hours

Right now the temp there is -8°C so they are having a warm day.
the December average temps are -8°C to -13°C, with 15 days of snowfall.

Michael

I've got a fourth element Arctic which made of Polyester fleece and recommend it for two reasons:

• It still give a good amount of insulation if/when you spring a leak
  • Easy Care - I wash it in the machine on gentle cycle and it comes out as good as new.
Similar fleece undergarments from the competition probable have the same advantages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom