Drysuit Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNLakesDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I give up. What's the difference between the Polartec brand wear from Cabelas v. the drysuit undergarments you purchase at a dive shop (besides about $250 -$300...)?

It depends on which Polartec product they are using. Polartech's make different types of fleece. Having said that, I use the same "The North Face" brand Polartec 300 undergarments that I also use skiing. The other differences are some add foot and hand loops/stirrups to help keep the fabric from bunching. I believe DUI lines theirs with a nylon outer shell to probably reduce the wear (pilling) from rubbing up against the drysuit.

Thanks MS. I don't want to screw the local dive shop, so it's more of a "good to know". All that said, as a backup I'm thinking of trying out the Cabela's deal and have a seamstress sew in some foot straps and see what she can do for thumbholes

The really critical thing is you do NOT want a fuzzy outer shell to your undies. The piling or any fuzz that's shed will eventually clog your exhaust valve. So, if you do get an all fleece / Polartech setup, then you probably want to wear something very thin over them - like a very thin nylon shell or something... at least on the top part...or just disassemble and service the exhaust valve regularly and clean it out. Not a big deal.

The other two things about diving undies: first, most have a hydrophobic outer shell, which is nice if it's raining out, or just from the water dripping off your gear after the dive. Helps repel sweat, too, inside the suit. Also, most better sets of diving undies have some kind of protection/more permeable fabric in the shoulder area, where the exhaust/dump valve of the suit goes, to aid in air flow when venting the suit.

The best set of dive undies I have (of the six sets I either have or have owned) have neoprene forearms and calf sections, which helps a LOT on preventing bunching when doffing/donning the suit. It's also really warm.

By and large, though, the guts of dive undies don't differ too much from really good ski undies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom