Drysuit Undergarments for very long dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am working with a bunch of volunteers and sponsors to raise money for charity with a 48 hour dive in Boston Harbor. I am going to use a dry suit provided by one of my sponsors with dry gloves and probably a 12mm hood. I also am possibly going to use a dry suit heater when necessary. I am wondering what layers I should wear under all this given it's 60ish water for 48 hours with little physical activity?

My suggestions for keeping adequately warm on a 48-hour immersion in 60F water:
  • Wear winter-levels of loose-fitting undergarments, such as might provide good warmth for up to 2 hours in 35F water (my personal setup: Weezle Extreme Plus, additional polypropylene wicking underlayer, half-inch thick fleece chest pad consisting of 4 folded layers, perhaps even fleece kidney pads, 2 pairs of dryglove liners, two pairs of foot insulation such as Merino wool, etc)
  • Wear a loose-fitting drysuit to allow movement and to avoid constriction of extremities with that thick insulation. Loose-fitting drygloves and boots for the same reason.
  • Wear 5 to 10 lbs of excess lead to provide extra air in the suit which can be periodically fully vented and replaced to dry the undergarments
  • Wear an ice cap underhood if the 12mm hood does not cover all facial areas, (except lips, of course)
  • Cool down, if necessary, by flushing water under the hood and by venting the drysuit for more squeeze
  • Make sure your electric drysuit heater has a shut-off switch..... :D
My goals would be to allow movement as needed, avoid constriction, stay dry and warm with the ability to cool down if needed.

Oh, and bring something to occupy your mind to reduce the effects of sensory deprivation! Hate to have you come back a raving lunatic! :D

Good luck!

Dave C

Last edited:
There are a bunch of things you need to worry about.

Keeping breathing
Keeping warm
Keeping Hydrated
Food Intake
Food Outtake the old #1 & #2

The best way to keep warm is to not use a dry suit but use a hot water suit with surface support. As soon as you do this you can go to surface supplied air and not worry about tanks.

A wet suit takes care of peeing. Pooping is another problem, Time for an enema or two before you go in the water and low bulk, high calorie foods while in it. You should think about what you will eat at least 2 to 3 days before the day you go under.

Wow, that's a crazy dive, I've never even been under for more than an hour and a half

Back
Top Bottom