Drysuit undergarments for New England waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm needing to replace my undergarments since its been a while since I looked at these things and I have moved I'm looking for advice on ones to try on.

I like to dive dry year around so I'm sure I'll need one for summer months 60 degree F water with air temp up to 90 and one for winter down to 31 degree F water with air temps below freezing.

I used to wear merino wool base layer is this the best or are the new purpose made base layers worth the extra cost?

What are good undergarments to consider for each summer and winter?

I have to agree with Marie13 Northern MN under ice and cold water I use Under Armor base with 4th Element "Artic" beats the thinsulate I used for years prior to getting the Fourth Element I have now been using for 6 years.

I have to agree with Marie13 Northern MN under ice and cold water I use Under Armor base with 4th Element "Artic" beats the thinsulate I used for years prior to getting the Fourth Element I have now been using for 6 years.

How would the artic without the base layer do for warmer time of year? Would the halo3d be too warm?

I do not tend to get cold easily.

How would the artic without the base layer do for warmer time of year? Would the halo3d be too warm?

I do not tend to get cold easily.
Actually Once the water gets warm (60 degrees) I keep the Under Armor base and drop the 4th element for my old thinsulate

@formernuke,

I'm a fan of a combination of Smartwool and Fouth Element layers. I’ve mixed and matched the following from the 70s down to 40 and been comfortable:
150gm Smartwool base layer
250gm Smartwool base layer
Fourth Element Xerotherm
Fourth Element Arctic
Fourth Element X-Core Vest
REI wool socks
Smartwool or Fourth Element glove liners with dry gloves

At the upper end I’ll use just the 250gm Smartwool
Colder I’ll use the 150gm + Xerotherm
Then the 150gm + Arctic
Then add the X-Core
Then layer the Xerotherm + Arctic with one of the base layers
Then add the X-Core to that at the bottom end

I haven’t tried the Halo 3D, but based on Fourth Element’s chart it would replace the bottom combinations listed above.

Mark

I dive year round in Massachusetts. I always use an Under Armour wicking base layer either 4th Element Arctics in the summer or 400g thinsulate (currently Santi) in the late fall,winter and spring. I found that doing anything more than quick 30 minute dive in the winter with the Arctic’s was just too chilly.

Update fourth element is out. Good quality and I like them, I would like them better if they fit.

Back
Top Bottom