Drysuit undergarment alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Convertz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just bought myself a used DUI CF200

Looking to get in the water with it soon for a quary dive but don't have any undergarments yet.

What would you guys recomend using until I get a proper set of undergarments? Anything I should avoid?

Thanks

Depends on the water temp, of course. But I'd start with a base layer that wicks, like Under Armore or something. Then something polypropylene and then fleece. Maybe wool if you have it. I'd avoid cotton.

Fleece pants and a jacket work quite well. I have never felt the need to buy anything specific for my dry suit as I have so much fleece from other activities.

Everyone's covered the alternatives well.

As far as finding some temporary undergarments, a local thrift store will have plenty of wool sweaters and wool socks. Great mobility in wool.

You might even use an all-synthetic exercise suit, if it allows enough mobility.

Try a loose-fitting all-synthetic windbreaker, too. Make sure you have enough mobility.

Five bucks will buy a yard of fleece material at Wal-Mart which can be folded twice to create a 4-layer chest pad. I use that arrangement all the time and find it really reduces heat loss from the chest.

For water temps above 45 degrees, all I use are layers of fleece outdoor garments over a polypropylene first layer. For my feet, I use Merino wool socks. Quite effective and versatile overall.

For the colder water, I use Weezle Extreme Plus, but I could probably do without it just by adding more fleece. That's what I did for years prior to getting the Weezle! :D

Welcome and good luck!

Dave C

Avoid cotton thermals, use moisture wicking ones like military polypropylene ones

another option is the Cheap ebay drysuit undergarments thread ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/174828-cheap-ebay-drysuit-undergarments.html ... I have delt with this seller and have been more than happy with his service

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Convertz :)

I bought one of his suits and it works great. I normally wear it with a non cotton base layer.

I was thinking of some under armour or other type of wicking tight fitting base layer. Then some fleece pants and jacket.

Thanks!

Well I am as cheap as they come...

Heres what a lot of commercial divers in our area use. I am sure you can get it anywhere work wear is sold.
Also as a base layer we use Helly Hansen Lifa

Helly Hansen Canada - Workwear - One Piece Suit

The total bill for base layer and thermals is under $200

Good Luck
O

I'd say O'Three's Point Below Base.
went into their shop and they are doing a hot christams deal, i dont think theyve introduced on their website yet tho.. £109.99 for pbb and some jollop etc. saving bwt 30-40 quid!!

hope that helps x

Last edited:
I got a custom made 300g PolarTec undergarment from Softwear Diving and I love it! SoftWear for the Scuba Diver.

The price was under $200 for the UG and socks to match. Janice was great to work with and she had the suit made and shipped out to me in 2-3 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom