Drysuit training resources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burna

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've just ordered my first drysuit and would like to do as much reading about their use as possible before I get it.

At this stage I'm not planning to do a drysuit course but see if I can find someone who can go for a splash under a pier with me instead.

Failing that, even if I do end up doing a drysuit course, I'd still like to read up as much as possible.

I have found a couple of sites with some (what seems to be) good info.
http://www.dui-online.com/tech_myths.htm

http://www.skin-diver.com/departments/waterwork/coldwaterdivingdrysuit.asp

If anyone knows of any other/better online resources about using or learning to use a drysuit or where I could get some training notes or the like, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

Those websites seem to be pretty good.

A Google search of "drysuit emergency" brings up the following useful preview from "Dry Suit Diving- A Guide to Diving Dry", by Barsky, Long, & Stinton.

Dry Suit Diving: A Guide to Diving Dry - Google Book Search

The book is an excellent guide, IMHO.

Dry Suit Diving Book - Scuba Diving Book from Hammerhead Press

For someone with good common sense, I'd say it could easily suffice as their primary resource for learning to use a drysuit. The knowledge it provides, combined with about 10 minutes of practice in the water, will probably get you started safely. :)

Dave C

I found that book too but wasn't sure what it was like. I have read some mixed reviews of the DVD.

I might order myself a copy, I'm just surprised that somewhere out there in the WWW someone hasn't produced something similar on a website. There's pages and pages of just about everything else to do with diving.

Cheers

Actually diving with a drysuit is really about practice. The knowledge that a thorough course can impart is about maintenance, problems, and general theories about keeping warm. The Hammerhead material is useful but not that different in content from the padi material and I assume other agencies'. I would encourage a class with the written material, but I am prone to want a very detailed approach to such things.

I guess this is where the Brick and Motar dive shop comes in handy. I just ordered a drysuit through my LDS. Part of the deal is that they teach the drysuit course for free. I did have to purchase the PADI book and DVD for $60 +/-. Course is classroom - pool - openwater.

I've ordered mine thru an LDS too, but I don't think I'll be getting a course thrown in as I've got them to price match another store which is several hundreds of dollars less than their "special sale" price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom