Drysuit Tec Fins Hollis F1 vs Apeks RK3HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvojr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving a dry suit over the last couple months and need negatively buoyant fins. I have the jet fin style fins from xDeep EX1 in medium stiffness as the only negative fins. The Eddys were too buoyant. I was looking at the RK3 HD, but was able to try Hollis F1 for two dives over the weekend. They were powerful and yet easy to do the different kicks especially when I'm used to the other fins. Does anyone have any experience with both and have any insight into why they chose one or the other or something I'm not considering? Thanks!

If you have strong legs use the F1s, if not the RK3HDs. I have RK3s for when not head heavy and have used club HDs too. The F1s are heavier and longer. In tight spaces the RK3s might be better.

Thank you. That is kinda what I figured out. Also I was looking through my fins and found power planas I forgot about. If I need heavy fins this should fit the bill especially with spring straps. I ended up getting the RK3HDs today. Both seem like a solid fins.

I've owned all three, The RK3s, F1 and Power planas, jet fins too.

I liked the F1s but regular was still too big in dry boots. RK3 in smallest size (regular ?) has a smaller blade surface than the PPs and F1s, but larger than a large jet.

Hated jets. The PP have a larger blade surface (small) than RK3 (regular) and Jets (large).

The foot pocket on the PP is way more comfortable than a jet, the RK3 I found very comfortable too.

I settled on PP, comfortable, relatively powerful for their size, negative but most importantly they fit me well.

I'm a size 7 men's, just...

I have F1's, which I've used for ages, and recently bought a set of RK3HD's. Whilst the RK3's are nice I still prefer the added negativity of the F1. However, this may well be down to familiarity.

Mine are XXL in the F1 and Super in the RK3, so big old slabs which ever way you look at it.

I've always dived either a standard or crushed neoprene drysuit, but now have a FE Argonaut 2.0 Stealth trilam on order. Will be interested to see if this changes my fin preference.

Heavy fins I think the rubber XR power plana tek fins are heavier than concrete

Zeagle recon works

I have F1's, which I've used for ages, and recently bought a set of RK3HD's. Whilst the RK3's are nice I still prefer the added negativity of the F1.

Did you find the HD's to be closer to neutral or negative?

Did you find the HD's to be closer to neutral or negative?
In my opinion, I'd say half way between neutral and F1 negative. In truth I was somewhat disappointed that they weren't a bit more weighty, but it really is subjective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom