Drysuit Size question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljpm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have a chance to purchase a gently used drysuit for a fabulous price. The problem is I have very little knowledge on how a Drysuit should fit. The first problem is the suit is a custom suit so I can't even look up the dimensions. Second, it is a consignment sale so I can't ask the owner what the dimensions are. And third, with the person selling it caveat emptor applies. Height wise the suit fits well. My biggest concern is that it looks like I could put both my thighs in one leg. It also looks as if the waist is large enough for 2 of me. The 'salesman' tried to convince me that I need that much room for thermal gear. Looking for opinions. Additionally, the price is really good so would I be able to make do with it for a few years until I could purchase a custom?

Thanks.

A bargain that fits poorly isn’t really a bargain, it’s money lost toward something that fits.

You should try it on with the thickest undergarments you intend to wear.

My recommendation is to pass on this suit and shop. Fit is the most important thing in a drysuit and is not something easily conveyed in writing. I am imagining the suit is being sold on consignment by a dive shop...if that is truly the case then the shop should have had you try the suit on with an undersuit to ensure the drysuit is correctly sized for you. The fact that they did not should be a concern.

Three primary things to keep in mind about drysuits:
1. Fit
2. Fit
3. Fit

-Z

A bargain that fits poorly isn’t really a bargain, it’s money lost toward something that fits.

Exactly right, if it doesn't fit you can't learn to dive it properly. Save your money and buy a used drysuit that fits, after you have done a drysuit course in order to learn a bit more about drysuits. Dive the hell out of it. Then a year or so later you will know more about what drysuit you really want to have made for you.

Michael

Hi,

I have a chance to purchase a gently used drysuit for a fabulous price. The problem is I have very little knowledge on how a Drysuit should fit. The first problem is the suit is a custom suit so I can't even look up the dimensions. Second, it is a consignment sale so I can't ask the owner what the dimensions are. And third, with the person selling it caveat emptor applies. Height wise the suit fits well. My biggest concern is that it looks like I could put both my thighs in one leg. It also looks as if the waist is large enough for 2 of me. The 'salesman' tried to convince me that I need that much room for thermal gear. Looking for opinions. Additionally, the price is really good so would I be able to make do with it for a few years until I could purchase a custom?

Thanks.
I take it then that the suit is a shell suit like a tls 350 or similar. If so it still sounds like it is a bit big. You can call the maker with teh serial number of the suit and they may be able to tell you the measurements used to make the suit.

Sounds like the suit was made for someone your size but way fatter. They didn't fit an off the peg suit so they had one made.

You describe a salesman. They want the product to move. Even if it isn't right. There is some tolerance in sizing, but your description pretty much says the only thing that is correct is height and everything else is wrong. In short, the suit is wrong for you. Unless you feel like putting on another 150 pounds so you adapt to the suit, it isn't the suit for you.

If the suit was a common size that fit normal people it would sell quick and for good money. Everyone else has realized that the suit is a bad fit for them. They can't move the suit. Looking for some sucker that thinks that they can make a good deal work. Don't be that sucker.

Hi,

Thanks.

Li...

If there's room in the suit for you and two small elephants...under no circumstances even consider buying it...

An inseam long enough to accomodate your height is not the only consideration...a suit body for someone weighing 240...will not work for somone weighing 180...

It will trap air that will not sufficiently exhaust to get you neutral...you'll try to compensate for this with an excessive amount of ballast...as you descend and the pressure increases...the trapped air will for the most part finally exhaust through your open exhaust valve...at which time you'll become overly negative causing you to sink like a stone...you'll then be continually inflating and exhausting as your profile changes in order to stay neutral...

Under-garments...even the loftiest ones are designed to keep you warm...not to fill voids caused by suit over-bulk...say thank you and walk away...

The salesman is not doing you any favour...he's looking to ''fill the till''...and brag to the owner...''I finally sold that POS dry-suit"...

You can see in the attached photo...how a dry-suit should fit...

Best...Warren
Screenshot (16).png

If your divestore is not the only game in town, it might be worthwhile to have a talk with owner or do your shopping elsewhere. What that salesman tried to do to you was wrong!

Michael

There is always another dive store around. It may not be close or convenient. I drive past a few different dive stores to get to the one I like..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom