Drysuit Shopping - ARGGHH!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norda

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am new to diving having earned my OW cert last Sept. Since certification all my dives have been warm water (OW cert dives were in Hoods Canal with rented drysuit @$125 - can't bear to continue renting at that price). However, with winter setting in I can't stand the thought of waiting until our next warm water trip to go diving again!

So, I have been keeping a watchful eye on any drysuit bargain I can to save some bucks and get back into the water sooner. Unfortunately, I seem to have a size problem. After reviewing all of the manuf. size charts I have come to this conclusion - I must have large feet.

At 6'2" and 190lbs, most suits seems to have a size 10 boot. I wear 12 to 13. What gives? Am I reading something wrong? Does this mean I have to buy a new suit so I can order the larger boot size? Also, I have heard of getting the boot replaced but this seems to defeat the purpose of buying used to save money.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? Is it really worth buying used when having to send in for mods?

Thanks.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions? Is it really worth buying used when having to send in for mods?
It will probably be cheaper to buy used and send in to get new boots attached. This really isn't a big deal from what I have heard (I am not too familiar with drysuit repair).

Unfortunately, I seem to have a size problem.
I feel your pain...I don't know who designed those size charts, but I am surprised anyone sells a stock suit. I always considered myself very standard and wasn't even close to fitting in a stock DUI.

Good Luck!

A new set of boots will cost you around $50 to $75 depending on where you get it done. if this is a shell suit, PLEASE make sure, for your own sanity, that you have someone competent put the new ones on or they will leak like CRAZY. This, of course, obviates the whole drysuit idea. I'm in the process of getting a neoprene suit and trading in my "garbage bag"... I'm tired of replacing boots and seal every couple of years.

Norda once bubbled...
At 6'2" and 190lbs, most suits seems to have a size 10 boot. I wear 12 to 13. What gives? Am I reading something wrong? Does this mean I have to buy a new suit so I can order the larger boot size? Also, I have heard of getting the boot replaced but this seems to defeat the purpose of buying used to save money.

Thanks.

When I got my Bare Tri-Lam the boots were sized independant of the suit. I assume they still do that.

Phil

Dry suit shopping BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been trying to find a suit in my size and it's almost impossible. Every where I go I'm told I have to be measured for a suit and not one LDS has any suits in my size to try on. Then they tell me I have to pay for the shipping and if for some reason the suit don't fit or I don't like it I'm out the shipping charge. Does anyone know of any Tri-State LDS's that have suits to try on in larger sizes? Please anyonel, soneone help me. ;-0

Contact DUI and find out when the Dog Days tour is going to be in your neighborhood. You get to look at/try on (even dive) their suits and talk to the manufacturer reps. It's also a pretty good party, from what I hear. I know someone that won a suit in a drawing at one a couple of years ago...can't beat that price.

Steven

At 6'2" and 190lbs, most suits seems to have a size 10 boot. I wear 12 to 13

A viking 03 is your size.

I'm on my second viking. My first got 800 dives,(Viking Pro1000)
I replaced the zipper and sold it for $350 US.
They are not cheap though.
New they about $1200 US including underwear.
They are a tough suit though.

MikeD
:blfish:

Back
Top Bottom